Deepshadows in prman

5013   3   2
32 posts
Im banging my head against the wall, trying to get deep shadows working with prman. Just rendering the default houdini spotlight with shadows set to deep shadows did not result in enything. So I guess I should use light template with shaders prman shaders attached. Now there are no shadow shaders in prman… So waht is the general pipeline to get the lights with deep shadowsworking with prman?
Dennis S. Sedov
523 posts
Hello,

1/ create a pointlight in OBJ mode
make sure the pointlight is facing the object you want to cast shadows.

2/ create a Renderman ShadowSpotLight shader in SHOPs

3/ set the shadowname for this to ./light.tx

4/ Attach this Renderman light shader to the pointlight

5/ Set shadows to Depth map for this pointlight
Set Auto generate shadow map ON
For Shadow Map enter ./light.tx

6/ create a Renderman render node and fire up a render…..

hope this helps,

bern
Staff
2590 posts
dsedov
Im banging my head against the wall, trying to get deep shadows working with prman. Just rendering the default houdini spotlight with shadows set to deep shadows did not result in enything. So I guess I should use light template with shaders prman shaders attached. Now there are no shadow shaders in prman… So waht is the general pipeline to get the lights with deep shadowsworking with prman?

The attached file works for me - default settings (it's set up for Linux).

Make sure you have a shader assigned to your objects (otherwise the default shader is used – which is usually the matte shader which doesn't perform lighting).

Attachments:
rib-dsm.hip.gz (30.4 KB)

230 posts
well I know this topic is a bit old, just 3 years, but I cant have decent shadows with renderman and houdini no matter what I tried.

I can get raytrace shadows but they are very sharp and I cant change that, neither the color of the shadow.

From the other hand, depth map shadows/deepshadows are working by default when the light facing the object but are very low quality, no matter how I increase the resolution of the map or the quality of the shadow.

Then I am not sure how to attach a renderman light shader to a light besides the template one, like point light as Bernard said. I tried to call the shader from the material tab of the light but then the image is very dark, almost black, I have to increase the light intensity of the shader very much for normal result, like 40. Besides the intensity things, seam to work fine this solution, I can have soft and crisp shadows by play with the “shamples” and “width” of the shadow map on the shader properties and in the light properties very important I found the “pixel samples” for clean results and “resolution”.

Any tip for how to get proper shadows with renderman and houdini will be really appreciated.

cheers
  • Quick Links