Houdini 5.5.143 (Apprentice License) wont start?

9988   6   1
7 posts
Hello
I've been running Houdini 5.5.136 Apprentice on my machine and everything worked fine. I removed 5.5.136, the services and key folder and installed 5.5.143, added the non-commercial license, (master and render). License admin took the licenses, no problem.
But when I try to run Houdini it dosen't start. No errors messages. I check task manager and houdini.exe is loaded but only using 13mb. I tried from the command line, same thing. I running winnt4sp6a, 950k7tb, 512 mb mem, geforce2gts soft quadro to quadro pro. Again I didn't have any problems at all with 5.5.36 or 5.5.136. Any ideas?
Thanks for your time.
And by the way I love Houdini, amazing flexibility and power, thanks Sidefx for Apprentice.
344 posts
The only thing I can suggest is completely unintalling Houdini, remove the keys folder, and shutdown. Restart the computer, make sure the License services are no longer installed and running, then reinstall .143. Once you have .143 installed, get new licenses, don't install your old ones. I'm using .143 Apprentice on Win 2K SP2, and RedHat 7.3 and it works fine. I doubt SideFX did anything in the last few weeks that would make it incompatible with NT, but then again we don't know because the links to the changes for each revision don't work ops:
1631 posts
dsamiran
Hello
I've been running Houdini 5.5.136 Apprentice on my machine and everything worked fine. I removed 5.5.136, the services and key folder and installed 5.5.143, added the non-commercial license, (master and render). License admin took the licenses, no problem.
But when I try to run Houdini it dosen't start. No errors messages. I check task manager and houdini.exe is loaded but only using 13mb. I tried from the command line, same thing. I running winnt4sp6a, 950k7tb, 512 mb mem, geforce2gts soft quadro to quadro pro. Again I didn't have any problems at all with 5.5.36 or 5.5.136. Any ideas?
Thanks for your time.
And by the way I love Houdini, amazing flexibility and power, thanks Sidefx for Apprentice.
Hi,

There is a problem with 5.5.143 on winnt. I would recommend you go back to 5.5.136 which was working for you.

Cheers!
steven
7 posts
Ahh. I thought it could have been a video driver or environment setting problem but… Back to 5.5.136 then. I'am hoping to get w2k in 2-3 weeks, looks like I have to. Hopefully its not a permanent thing, not working on winnt I mean.
Thanks very much for the quick replys.
12507 posts
Get 5.5.151 - this one works fine.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
12507 posts
Get 5.5.151 - this one works fine.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
7 posts
Thanks Jason and Sidefx
  • Quick Links