Evaluating Python forever and ever !

9538   5   1
5 posts
Hi there,

2nd post, I can't live without you guys !

Today is a sad day ! I've just realised that the “Evaluating Python” part of Houdini is not multi-threaded… :cry:

Only 15 to 20 % of CPU charge for the last 8 hours…

Is there a way around that ?

Thanks
1906 posts
What exactly is it you are trying to do that is taking over 8 hours? It's probably not in fact a Python problem though and your scene has frozen doing some operation and it happend to freeze at the moment the status message was displaying that.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
5 posts
No.

When I say 8 hours, it includes the rendering time of the frames. But evaluating the python part is the longuest bit at each frame ! I am instancing some grass with a particle system. When they're is plenty of particles (at the end of the animation), the python part of the rendering really takes some time. I can live with it though, but its so sad to seat and wait while the CPU charge is only 15 or 20 %…
109 posts
I do get the same thing sometimes. Not sure what it is. Is there a way to log what's going on? Mantra logging doesn't show anything as this is happening when hitting ‘render’ but before the mantra process starts.
192 posts
sounds like this is just soho running, doin' its thing. not sure if you can do anything to speed this up without changing your approach (instancing aggregate geometry to less points or using the fur sop/procedural)
109 posts
In my case, I'm not instancing anything. But I do have about 40 digital assets in the scene, that come from an older version on Houdini, each with their own SHOP network. I can read ‘evaluation python cooking op /obj/myobject/myshopnet/material1/surfaceOutput’. Do you know of a way to see more info when soho is doing is thing?
  • Quick Links