New VEX features

7252   1   0
170 posts
Guess this one goes to people at SideFX.
I waned to know if there are any plans to add to VEX an ability to insert a thumbnail image in to an operator or a shader?
For example.What if somebody is creating some kind of a cloth shader which will have several predefined patterns.A dropdown box will be created with #pragma choise so the user can choose the setting that meets his need.But how does he know how it'll look? Here a little thumbnail would help a lot!This thumbnail would just be an image that was prerendered with this shader and with the current setting chosen.
Also, the thumbnail would have to be updated according to every setting being chosen from dropdown.
I guess it would look something like this.

#pragma thumbnail pic1,pic2,pic3 etc.
The Things I Do For Love!
1631 posts
You can use the SHOP palette for that, though it's not working too well right now.

Alternatively, you can create presets for each cloth patterns, render an image(not thumbnail size) & save them to a folder. The user can then go to the folder to browse the images for the pattern. Once the pattern is chosen, select the corresponding preset file in the SHOP using the Presets… button.

Given a choice, I wouldn't want to see the thumbnail in the parameters. In addition, the SHOP viewer is good enough that one won't need to render.
  • Quick Links