Rendering lot of gras

3878   0   0
28 posts
Hi,
I am not sure if I should ask here or in the Fur Tutorial thread.
While I make progress with modelling my scene, I think I have to take rendertime into account. During some simple tests, I created a scene that has fur for gras, and I had really long rendertimes. My scene has 744 Frames in the animation. When one image e.g. takes 4 hours for the final rendering, it would take 120 days to do the complete rendering. I work uncommercial, but that is even too much for uncommercial needs. And there are 4 more scenes I have to do for my little movie. So I need to think forward when modeling, shading and lighting for the rendertime in the end. The basic geometry seems to be okay, but there is an issue in this first scene, that is complicated.
I have ground grind of around 400x400 meters (different units, but meters are importent here just to know the dimensions). That should be covered with gras. The camera will fly over that gras very close. So just using a texture seems not to be the best. I tried it with fur, what seems to look good, but because of the large area, I would need so many strands that I am afraid regarding the render time. The same with polys that are scattered over the surface. At last I think of displacement shading, but haven't tried that yet.
Additional facts All scenes will be composed with (video)filmed material, so they should be rendered near fotorealistic for a good match. I think of AO, GI and PBR. But I have to keep rendertime low … -)
Has someone an idea how to set up the gras and the scene for this purposes?
greetings,
- Frankie

PS I am new to houdini and I do my first project. With the help of ‘magic of houdini’ and several video tutorials I solved a lot of problems until now. But some questions are left, where I cant find the answer at the moment.
  • Quick Links