Maya members

9961   15   5
2199 posts
Is it just me or is there a lot more people starting topics on here and odForce with the phrase

“I've been a Maya artist for *blah* years and just getting in Houdini…. etc.” 8)

Greetings to you all, hope you enjoy the experience and help to push Houdini forward.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
243 posts
I got raise my hand and admit I'm one of those… ops:

Houdini rocks!!!
JR Gauthier
Character Animation & Design
www.turboatomic.com
http://www.vimeo.com/user2847970 [vimeo.com]
29 posts
I'm admitting I was one of those, too. Luckily I'm a houdini convert.
1769 posts
resistance is futile..
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
523 posts
Hello,

we must not forget, Maya is also a great piece of software with some nice features: PaintFX, integrated Oceans creation, Toon shading tools, nCloth,….

bern
696 posts
heresy!
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
85 posts
Maya is great, when you have a good programmer who will write all the plugins to make it behave like Houdini!
5 posts
Maya is great, but any Maya user knows that Houdini is extraordinary.
1192 posts
People, someone was just welcoming new users to Houdini and to the forum. Why should this thread transform into software bashing?
Bernard, the topic was clear and had nothing to do with merits of software.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
41 posts
I am a Maya user… who waited for OSX Houdini to jump ship, but I am a little concerned about my job options in my country with Houdini.
Maya tires and bores me.
13 posts
Hi there. Just 2 say that you have to stop this game of comparing softwares once and for all. You have 2 keep in mind that is the result you able to achieve regardless of the application. All softwares out there have strengths and weaknesses and houdini is no exception. What makes the difference is the artist behind the computer and his ability to produce incredible images and the software whatever the name, is just a simple tool to help him accomplish his vision. Don't forget that IT'S JUST A TOOL!!!!!!
13 posts
Hi there. Just 2 say that you have to stop this game of comparing softwares once and for all. You have 2 keep in mind that is the result you able to achieve regardless of the application. All softwares out there have strengths and weaknesses and houdini is no exception. What makes the difference is the artist behind the computer and his ability to produce incredible images and the software whatever the name, is just a simple tool to help him accomplish his vision. Don't forget that IT'S JUST A TOOL!!!!!!
12429 posts
I think you're totally misinterpreting the tone of the original post, sir.

He sounds encouraged (as am I) by the fact the Houdini is becoming attractive to the Maya users. It's a positive thing for Houdini to get more interest and have it's technology expanded by a larger, more varied user base. No software comparisons/software bashing intended.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
2199 posts
Totally, it's great to get people from other software with experience of other tools. People bring ideas from other workflow and tools to the forum and hopefully the good ideas get incorporated into Houdini and any defficencies can be addressed.
I assume that many people use more than one piece of software great if one of them is Houdini. Don't care to get involved in argurements about which is better. Why bother? (that's a retorical question by the way)
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
581 posts
I am agree with Simon, I only hope that many supervisors begin to work with houdini too so we can have more studios to work in.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
537 posts
well, I'm a 3ds Max user / trainer also, Houdini is great but there are many things I'd still prefer to do in Max .. like traditional modeling / keyframing. Just because a Maya user is attracted and uses Houdini doesn't mean they have to “convert” Every tool has it's strong and weak points.
  • Quick Links