14 bit controllers in Midi out CHOP

6522   10   2
4 posts
Anyone know how to “format” data for 14 bit controllers out of the midi out CHOP? I've tried just feeding a wave to a limit to a rename to midi out:

with a range of @1600 (rounded to 1 unit increments) no go at the midi device. Which yes is supposed to listen to 14 bit controllers…….

Any thoughts?

I know that it has to be tagged with MSB and LSB controller #s

say ch1c2c34 I did this with the rename chop ……. no go.

What I'm I formating wrong? Thanks in advance…. -teflon.

PS- got this working great at 7 bit with one MSB cc.
537 posts
Hmmm, not sure. What is your sample rate (I always use 480hz)? That wouldn't really effect bit depth though. With the MIDI out CHOP here's some general workflow info though.

so not sure if this helps but here's the lesson files for the recent Houdini Music/Audio techniques class I taught at SESI.

The first example was using particle impacts to generate MIDI notes. Basically, with the MIDI out CHOP you want the same stuff as you get when you go in with the MIDI in CHOP.

So, I would reference a MIDI file with controller data. The DA I put together for the output of the MIDI file can be modified to accommodate controller data currently it doesn't. But, the stumbling block is actually one of the worst I've ever encountered in the Houdini CHOPs workflow.

Basically, when taking arbitrary channel values / data, and trying to put those onto channels, you have to ask. “For a certain value in all of the channels coming in, put on only the ”nth" channel going out. This would be a For-Each loop in SOPs. Couldn't come up with a good way to do it in CHOPs. There needs to be a FOR-Each Channel loop CHOP !!!

Anyway, the scene is fully functional and you can use my MIDI out asset, which should save you some trouble hopefully Let me know if you can get it to work or if you need any other help.
Edited by - July 29, 2008 20:25:09

Attachments:
HAudioMIDILessonFiles.zip (1.1 MB)

537 posts
o yeah there's a bug with the particle attributes in this scene … you'll need to copy/paste the two particle nodes and connect that to the output and it should work then. Refreshes it somehow
4 posts
And thanks for the reply….
tough to get stuff figured out in CHOPS sometimes……

I'll look at your file…… I think it's in your book too as I remember.

I think you are right tho….. no way to combine 2 tagged 127 MSB and 127 LSBs in a merge into Midi out CHOP. I believe the “for channel”operation you are talking about is what's needed. Think that feels like what I'd do in Max/MSP.

I'll try out some more of the lessons in your book ( Trying to get to it for 2 days now ….I've got an 10 month old to watch )

Let you know if anything works….. Best -Stefan Prosky
537 posts
ah HA! Howdy Stefan.

Actually those two files are no-where in the book. In the book I used particles to generate stamped audio / not MIDI.

So, the MIDI generation is completely different. I try to mix it up with classes since there's just so many possibilities to cover.

8)
4 posts
record pitch bend in info with midi in CHOP.
It's supposed to be 14 bit right? Comes in default as -1 to +1 with fine resolution like @ .01 but that ain't no 16384 ticks. I get a little confused by the None verus o to 1 options on CC in the Midi chops.

Maybe I'll just take the pitch bend channel an rename it then go to Midi out?

let you know …… best teflon.
537 posts
ah … increase the MIDI in CHOP's sample rate under chan tab
537 posts
Here is an example which takes the MIDI notes / pitch bend out of Reason, and either smooths it, or creates new pitch bend (all high res).

Then generates a new MIDI out file. This goes back into Reason (my seq program) and works fine.

PS* you'll probably need to bypass-unbypass the MIDI in CHOP it didn't refresh when I opened the file anew

Attachments:
simplified_midi_workflow.zip (58.1 KB)

4 posts
Andrew!

I'll mess with this as soon as I can……. Gotta teach tomorrow at 8am, so I'm off to bed. I got some better channel data out of my more expensive midi
controller (Akai Wind Synth) with your suggestion to turn up the sampling rate. Can't wait to try both w/ midi out chop tomorrow……

Nice to Have help. I'll send a mov of my robot arm when it works at 14 bit. My very best -Stefan.
142 posts
How to record now some stuff ..with new sounds .. i mean overwriting existing record ..finalrecord .wav ..please help..

in this file dynamicsSpatAudio.hip

:roll: :?: ops:

never mind .. yesss figurit out
142 posts
hm ..again help …

now i want when object is near to camera ..to have specific sound like wind or i mean is very close woooshhhh…

just point me on right direction please

:roll:

aha ..got it ))))))))

Attachments:
soundfoley.rar (612.1 KB)

• Quick Links