about how to learn houdini

5062   3   1
160 posts
hi ,everybody.
i changed form 3dsmax,so i am accustomed to work in houdini with the way in 3dsmax.
today ,i use editsop to changed a point's poistion and want to directly type it's coordys in some box ,just like in 3dsmax .but i can't find such a place.

so ,i think ,is there some proplems in my mind?
how can i changed my thinking way to suit to learning houdini?
58 posts
What you describe is a linear way of working.
You can work in a linear fashion as you describe but it is not as practical as you would imagine using Houdini.

If you would translate your actions over from Max to Houdini then the difference would be that for each operation(action) you would do in Max you would put down a Node(Operation) in Houdini.

Now, the significant difference between 3ds Max and Houdini is the fact that you can split a linear flow of nodes(Operations) into 2 flows of nodes(operations). and then combine them again.

Also you can source information from a node in the chain that comes before the last node in your chain.

I am sorry that i can not exactly tell you how to do what you want because i do not have Houdini installed at the moment.
1145 posts
I'd recommend watching some of the video tutorials in the Learning/Tutorials section. In particular watch the videos in the Surface Operations section. These are very basic and will provide a good sense of the workflow.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
537 posts
I actually think Max is much more similar to Houdini than say Maya. Instead of a modifier stack, it's node based. That's about the only difference there, other than different operators of course.
  • Quick Links