houdini workflow

4878   3   2
4 posts
Hi,

I'm a maya and softimage user exploring houdini and its help randomly to begin with.

I found channel editor and Dopesheet editor
But where is my Trax editor?

Does Houdini have non linear animation workflow in it ?
I can see in channel editors menu command as “export channel as”

Or there is some other approach!!
Please help

Ashwin
Ashwin
119 posts
It doesn't have the same sort of non-linear animation editor as XSI (I can't speak for Maya). But it has a HUGE assortment of channel operators that will let you perform the same sorts of operations. It's not as immediately clear how to do it, but just spend some time playing in CHOPs and it'll become more clear.
For starters, when you save out animation clips in XSI, the closest thing you can do in Houdini is save out chan files and use them with a file CHOP. CHOPs has a wide array of operators that can be used to re-time, blend, and combine channels that you read in.
Your character should probably be encapsulated into an HDA so that you can reference it in separate hip files, or at least OBJ networks that you can use to build up component animation sequences and then in the actual scene where you'll be blending the animations.
4 posts
Hi,

Thanks
I tried to understand CHOPS and procedural animation by watching some tutorial videos.

This seems somewhat new to me as I was more ever doing keyframe animation or using expressions or linking parameters. So I hv to change the way I probably look at houdini.

And I think its bit early for ME to talk about non-linear animation in Houdini.

Ashwin
Ashwin
119 posts
Don't be discouraged! I meant that you can hand animate and then play with blending those together. CHOPs is very easy to get into.
Houdini is a really artist friendly tool I think.
  • Quick Links