loading plugins in Houdini NC

8401   8   1
114 posts
Hi,

Is it possible to load plugins in Houdini 6.1.128 NC. I wanted to give a try for Real Flow but Houdini crush every time I wanted to load the scene. Probably Houdini NC doesn't load any external plugins but I wanted to be shure by asking here.
543 posts
Hi,

The Real Flow plugins will load with the NC version, but the Render operator will not work, Houdini won't execute it. The Real Flow import and export SOPs do work in NC version.

What are your system specifics. The plugins are all working on all platforms, but as usual, Windows has it's own set of quirks.

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
114 posts
I;m using Houdini NC 6.1.128 on a linux box (Mandrake linux distrib.)
ok, I manage to load the test file (I deleted yhe houdini6.1 folder from my home ant it worked) but with a lot of errors. I came to the concluzion that I didn't put the plugins in the right place or something. can you please describe a bit more where to put the RF plugins. I'm not interested in render (anyway not yet) I'm interested in the way that thouse 2 programs work together because soon will be a RF for linux too.
543 posts
Hi,

You should be able to put the plugins in either $HFS/houdini/dso or $HOME/houdini/dso (recommended) without setting any environment variables.

What errors did you get? Do you mean there's operator's that need updating (common) or is something related to the plugin? I'm running it on RH 7.3 with no errors at all.

–Mark
114 posts
ok, here are my warning/error messages (I put the .so files in bouth $hfs/dso and #home.houdini/dso)

real_flow_demo.hip load failed:
Warning Bad node type found realflow in/out
3xSkipping unrecognized parameter
Warning Bad node type found rf_import in /obj/2_fluid_vase
18xSkipping unrecognized parameter
Warning Bad node type found rf_import in /obj/2_fluid_vase
14xSkipping unrecognized parameter

than I press continue, I get the operator updating stuff, I press update and the scene loads. When I press play the animationn is ok but without any particle/RF stuff (only 3 vases,a sink and some other objects, I made them all visible)
543 posts
Hi,

Houdini isn't finding the plugins. What are your system specifics? Do you have any Houdini specific environment variables set (use hconfig)? Feel free to contact me off list if you can't figure this out. The plugins work on all platforms, but as usual, Windows has it's own set of quirks.

–Mark
543 posts
calin_casian
ok, here are my warning/error messages (I put the .so files in bouth $hfs/dso and #home.houdini/dso)

BTW: put the plugins in only one location, $HOME/houdini/dso is prefered.
543 posts
Stop the presses!!!

I just discovered that there's a difference between the DSO/DLL “format” with Houdini 6.1.XXX and 6.0 …

They will work OK for 6.0, but not 6.1.

I'll consider upgrading soon, but I'm not sure if 6.1 is “stable” yet … (will read through the beta forums today)

Sorry for the confusion, didn't expect a change with a minor revision upgrade.

–Mark
543 posts
Hi,

The Houdini-Real Flow plugins are now available for Houdini 6.1, except
for Windows, there's something funky happening with the Windows HDK
compilation.

Here's the URL:
http://www.digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/real_flow/index.html [digitalcinemaarts.com]

As always, let me know if you find a bug or need a particular feature.

–Mark
  • Quick Links