node type

6584   2   0
224 posts
I have a question about the distinction between Node and NodeType in the Python hou module.

In the docs for hou.Node class http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/hom/hou/Node [sidefx.com], its says:

“The base class for all nodes in Houdini (objects, SOPs, COPs, etc.) An instance of this class corresponds to exactly one instance of a node in Houdini…”

Then, in the same docs, it says:

"Be careful not to confuse nodes with node types. A node is an instance of a node type. For example suppose /obj/geo1/box1 is a box SOP. It has its own unique name (box1) and its own copies of parameter values. It is an instance of the box SOP node type…"

But I am still confused.. :?

So, lets consider this box node.
>>> b = hou.node('/obj/box_object1/box1')
>>> print type(b)
<class ‘hou.SopNode’>
>>> print b.name()
box1
>>> bt = b.type()
>>> print type(bt)
<class ‘hou.SopNodeType’>
>>> print bt.name()
box
>>> print bt.nameWithCategory()
Sop/box

So for our box, we can get both an instance of SopNode and of SopNodeType. I guess that SopNodeType is more general than SopNode - is that right.

And why the extra class? Since a class is already a type, you could have all the methods of SopNodeType inside the SopNode class, which would seem more straightforward.
Patrick
7714 posts
All nodes of the same type share the same underlying node type class. A node type will exist regardless of whether any nodes of it exists.

>>> box1 = hou.node('/obj/geo1/box1')
>>> box2 = hou.node('/obj/geo1/box2')
>>> box1 == box2
False
>>> box1.type() == box2.type()
True
>>> box_type == box1.type()
>>> box1.destroy()
>>> box2.destroy()
>>> box1

ObjectWasDeleted: Attempt to access an object that no longer exists in Houdini.
>>> box2

ObjectWasDeleted: Attempt to access an object that no longer exists in Houdini.
>>> box_type
<hou.SopNodeType for Sop box>
224 posts
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking something like that. I did actually check to see if two boxes would share the same type object, like this:
>>> b1 = hou.node('/obj/geo1/box1')
>>> b2 = hou.node('/obj/geo1/box2')
>>> id(b1.type())
>>> id(b2.type())

The id's are not the same, so they must be different objects. But I did not do the equality test.
Patrick
  • Quick Links