hkey response

9608   6   1
8 posts
At the tcsh command line (in response to ‘hkey’ command)

file command not found
f subscript out of range

Also checked sesinetd with ‘sesictrl -n’
“command not found” response
Does this indicate an issue with the ethernet address?
What does “subscript out of range” mean?
1631 posts
Hi,

Did you source the Houdini_setup file before trying to run hkey? If you didn't, please do a ‘cd /usr/hfs5.5’ (without the quotes) or where you installed Houdini then type ‘source houdini_setup’. You should get:

The Houdini environment has been initialized.

If you get the above, please try ‘hkey’ and ‘sesictrl -n’ again.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
8 posts
Hi Steven

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did source the houdini_setup file.

My interim solution was to reinstall Mandrake 8.1 and turn off the Internet selection (product install menu). The ethernet was located (local LAN) and IP address set accordingly. There were no further errors at the copmmand ‘hkey’. I am curious to know the conflict…? or at least the error response “f subscript out of range” . Given that sesinetd was notup and running at the time of the error, my hunch is a conflict between the LAN and Internet settings? just guessing….

Upgrading the nvidia drivers has been time consuming. Does any one know the MD5 checksum for Mandrake kernel 2.4.8 - 2.6mdk Vanilla i586?
I have to match it with the correct nvidia kernel driver.
What is the difference between UP, SMP and Enterprise versions?

many thanks, zostera
1631 posts
Hi,

You mentioned you're having problems with the graphics card drivers, so is it up & running now? I would recommend you make sure the graphics drivers are installed properly before trying to run hkey.

There is a Linux forum on Nvidia's website. Maybe you can find something there?

As for 'sesictrl -n' & sesinetd, please go here [sidefx.com] for some useful information.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
8 posts
Hi

I used ./makedevices.sh to compile(?) the Nvidia_kernel-1.0-3123 driver. That seemed to work OK.

Installing the Nvidia_GLX-1.0-3123-i386.rpm was unsuccessful (it asks for an nvidia kernel driver that is incompatible with the mandrake 8.1 MD5 checksum). That was confirmed by running the script NVchoose.sh

So unpacked the Nvidia GZL *tar.gz file, then cut and pasted libGLcore.0.1.3123 into /usr/lib directory.

I didn't install the Mesa drivers, on the assumption that the Nvidia driver replaces them? Should I also copy and paste the libGLU.so.1 file (supplied by Sidefx) to /usr/lib as well?

The Mandrake 8.1 kernel currently using is the 2.4.8-26mdk version.
It is the Nvidia_GLX-1.0-3123.i386 file that is the difficulty at the moment.
Any suggestions….?
8 posts
Hi Steven,

The linux installation of Houdini has worked out fine. The linux forum on the Nvidia site has also been helpful with the mandrake GLX issues.

The hkey response was avoided by switching off the ‘Internet ’ selection when installing Mandrake, and installing the ethernet setting only.

Many thanks for your help!
1631 posts
Hi zostera,

That's great news! I'm glad everything worked out fine.

Have fun with Houdini!

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links