just a vase ...

7839   5   0
191 posts
I started to do a very simple scene with a very simple light setup. I have avoided gi solution just to learn with point lights and how far I can go to get a realistic/astethic result.

Breakdown:

- The base, hmm just a modeled vase
- The background is a simple sphere with a ramp coming from comp
- The ground is a simple circle with a gradient shader so it looks like a spot light coming from above and fades with the background
- The vase shader is tweaked from the default glass material

Now I have two problems:

The vase looks more like a smoky glass rather the a crispy clear glas. My first thought was that maybe it has to do with the light or the intensity but that isn't the problem. I have recreated the scene in another 3d package and havn't the smoky look.

The second problem is when I use an environment reflection map. It doesn't “come” out, means, that I allways get a very hard to see reflection and I couldn' find a “control” for that.

Attachments:
vas.jpg (82.2 KB)
vase.hipnc (939.7 KB)

330 posts
nice ‘n’ clean !

… but glass without reflections is just … smoke .

i wd suggest to use some geometry ( few white mate polygons ) visible by rays , but not from camera . tweaking the geometry gives a lot more ‘space to interpret’ reflections . you can avoid the ‘blurry reflection’ problem which some low resolution environment images may manifest .

add some specular highlights from your point light and it should be fine .

you may , also , use dedicated additional lights just for that purpose .

.cheers
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
191 posts
So,

The first one is with a specular angle of 40 and of course the object reflection on

The second one is with the opacity falloff on but, hmmm looks not right in my opinion if you put something in the vase.

The third one is with a specular angle of 18

The rendering settings are quit with cost of rendering time but even that there is grain noticable in 1 and 3

Overall, what do you think?

Attachments:
vase_v2.hipnc (1.1 MB)
vase_v2_3.jpg (100.6 KB)
vase_v2_2.jpg (89.4 KB)
vase_v2_1.jpg (97.8 KB)

191 posts
So, this is my first fluid filling after test the whole day and play with the different settings. Looks good so far but I think more energy in the water movement looks better.

http://vimeo.com/19026245 [vimeo.com]

Attachments:
QuickTime PlayerSchnappschuss001.jpg (157.2 KB)

191 posts
a first rendertest with fluid in the vase.

the fluid mesh is mainly optimized, the shader is the default “basic fluid” but I havn't touched the settings.

Attachments:
vase_v6_1.jpg (104.6 KB)

191 posts
thies is a test of filling the vase ….

http://www.vimeo.com/19559239 [vimeo.com]
  • Quick Links