Project Overhaul - Almost complete

5712   2   1
19 posts
I picked up an older project of mine that just had previously run into so many problems that I needed a break. The Houdini scene was just so inefficient and the FBX files I was producing were absurdly large.

So work flow is basically Maya model -> Houdini wire deforming rigs -> Back to Maya via FBX for lighting -> Out to Nuke for compositing.

So far I've cleaned it up a good bit, now I can render out as many branches as I like rather than crash trying to render a single branch. I've finished up the texture painting and managed to get the plant assembled. For now all I can upload is a still frame while the Vimeo link is processing.

Looking for critique on just about anything lighting and texturing wise, I have 3 weeks to keep tweaking things so anything is welcome.

More information on the project can be found on my website under the “Current” tab.

Also my demo reel is up there and you should check it out because I want a job.

www.JohnKentFX.Com

Attachments:
frame.240.tif.tif (2.7 MB)

19 posts
http://vimeo.com/20216697 [vimeo.com]

Vimeo finished uploading last night, Here it is. A friend of mine made a good point. The current rays dull the object a bit so maybe over saturating the image where the rays hit before laying them over top would look a bit better.
19 posts
An update for the lighting and texturing. Turns out some normals were funky causing that nasty silhouette effect on my leaves and main stem.

• Quick Links