multiple shatter for getting non uniform shatter effect.

8518   9   0
122 posts
Hi, i'm trying to create DOP simulation. It's a simply an object hit a glass plate. I use a simple box sop as the glass plate. When breaking up, i want to create a non uniform pieces. Ussually i use max (rayfire) which is pretty good to naturally break the geometry, but this time i want to do it in Hou. So what i'm thinking is creating multi level/stage of shattering. So after the first shatter is applied, i want to create smaller pieces, so i apply second stage shatter. I select couple of the ‘bigger’ pieces from the first shatter (based on primitve group) to be applied second shatter. Before apply the shatter, i need to clean up the poly (using dissolve) so i can minimize unused poly, then re-generate a new smaller pieces using shatter. If needed i can redo the step for third stage shattering. But cleanup step (dissolve) takes time, so can anyone help me whether i'm on right track or not? is there any other better or faster way to achieve this effect. Any advice will be great. Pls help.

thanx
clay
2624 posts
You should look at the new shatter tools ! .

Rob
Gone fishing
122 posts
circusmonkey
You should look at the new shatter tools ! .

Rob

yes i tried that. Still i can't get what i want, i have to do custom distribution of the shatter. That's i still need multiple shatter tool. Which i mean i still have problem to clean up polygon as result from previous shatter. specially clean up the inside edge. Of course i don't want to manually select them, there will be a lot of pieces !

Another approach , i tried to control the shatter using paint and scatter sop (controlling shatter by using Cd attribute), i paint certain area to get appropriate density. So far this works fine. But as soon as i turn on ‘cluster’ , it messed up , holes everywhere, i try to control noise value, but most value, i got ugly result.

thanx
Edited by - March 3, 2011 05:36:56
122 posts
Also, to be simple , i change the glass object from box to grid (i will extrude it later). Combine with paint/scatter, i got perfect one, but the edge of each pieces is simply too straight, i try to add noise by turn on ‘cluster’ ,too bad cluster doesn't work with flat obj (grid). Any idea??

So if someone can share his/her workflow to me, i'll be glad.

thanx
2624 posts
Do post up simple scene files showing where you are at as you know nothing says it better than a good ole scene.

r
Gone fishing
122 posts
circusmonkey
Do post up simple scene files showing where you are at as you know nothing says it better than a good ole scene.

r

i attach file in different thread here :
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=21712&sid=787fa280fffa93e71bcba8b81dc67f3a [sidefx.com]

where i have problem to clean up the group of pieces, as i need it later to be applied second stage shatter. So i plan to made couple of collection like that to be fractured as smaller pieces. I hardly find a way to use dissolve node to clean it up.

thanx.
30 posts
why you don't use voronoi fracture? it could handle multiple shattering and noisy edges easily.
122 posts
mosari
why you don't use voronoi fracture? it could handle multiple shattering and noisy edges easily.

That's what i'm using. I attached a scene file. This is using paint/scatter method which i piped into voronoifracture….This way i can control pieces using paint stroke. This is just the perfect result, but the only problem is : i can't get the noise edge, the ‘cluster’ parameter doesn't work with the ‘grid’ !

That's why i like to try another method using shatter tool and replace the grid with box (which has volume , so the ‘cluster’ will work fine). I use multiple stage of shattering to get similar effect. The only problem : each stage , i have to collect couple of pieces bound together to be fractured more. But before applying the shatter tool, i want to clean up that pieces collection, specially the internal edge which will not be used anymore (garbage) , but will be count to the calculation. Now i have problem at the ‘cleanup’ step.

thnx

Attachments:
custom_fracture2.hipnc (234.2 KB)

Staff
809 posts
Two things to look at:

Cluster should work with a flat grid, just make sure to turn off “Create Inside Surface” on the VoronoiFracture SOP. That generally makes everything work better for 2D surfaces.

Then look at “Delete Exterior Cluster Edges” on the Cluster tab (not the best name in the world , which tries to clean up any edges left over after the cluster operation.

Unfortunately that the underlying Dissolve operate can cause artifacts with large flat polygons like those in a box, but you can usually work around it by changing the Offset of the Cluster noise.
122 posts
johner
Two things to look at:

Cluster should work with a flat grid, just make sure to turn off “Create Inside Surface” on the VoronoiFracture SOP. That generally makes everything work better for 2D surfaces.

Then look at “Delete Exterior Cluster Edges” on the Cluster tab (not the best name in the world , which tries to clean up any edges left over after the cluster operation.

Unfortunately that the underlying Dissolve operate can cause artifacts with large flat polygons like those in a box, but you can usually work around it by changing the Offset of the Cluster noise.

Hi Johner, thanx for reply. sorry i move the topic to this thread :
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=21712 [sidefx.com]
so i won't do double posting for similar problem. I already spot the real case i want to solve. There i put an attachment, where i do it manually cleanup the fracture.
That's what i want to achieve but it's done using non procedural way.

thanx
  • Quick Links