[solved] Houdini 11.0.775 failed to start in Mac OSX Lion

7441   8   2
479 posts
Hi, after I upgrade my Mac OS to the latest Lion, the Houdini 11.0.755 apprentice failed to start.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall but it still doesn't work. I also tried 11.0.733 and even 10.0.595 and I still can't get Houdini up and running…

The same problem also happens on both iMac and Macbook Pro.

Has anybody encounter similar problem?

This is very frustrating !!!

Please see the error message below …
Edited by - July 25, 2011 12:06:45

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 11.02.17 PM.png (21.3 KB)

479 posts
… ok, just found out that a fix has been made for Lion after 11.0.797

will try the latest daily build …
4 posts
Did this help you?

I'm running the latest daily build as of 8/6 and it has the exact problem you described.
479 posts
Hi, fiske, install the latest daily build of 11.0.818 or even newer version will not have the problem i described.
4 posts
Yeah, thanks.

I got my issues mixed up. Updating to the newest build doesn't do an immediate crash, but I'm currently in a feedback loop with the license server. Houdini launches, closes and launches the license server, I install my apprentice license, it asks me if I want to view the license or run Houdini, I choose run, it launches Houdini, closes Houdini, launches license server .. and you can see where this is going ..
479 posts
I'm not sure what causes the problem u described.

But it seems that whenever a new production build or daily build is available, Houdini will remind you some license problem, and usually reinstall either the same version or a newer version will solve the license error problem…

Anyway, my guess might not be correct and I'm happy that I got Houdini up and running on Mac smoothly now (smile in evil way…hehe)
2 posts
So, where can I get Houdini Apprentice 11.0.811? Or any Lion “compatible” build?

edit: Found IT! Apparently You have to use something called scroll on Daily Builds Page…

Since its “Daily Builds” page, shouldn't daily builds come first, AND Then Stable/Final builds? I don't know just thinking out loud here, seems logical.
639 posts
Daily builds may contain new bugs as well as new fixes. External plug-ins may break with daily builds. Production builds are simply the officially sanctioned version that makes support's life a little easier.
2 posts
TheUsualAlex
Daily builds may contain new bugs as well as new fixes. External plug-ins may break with daily builds. Production builds are simply the officially sanctioned version that makes support's life a little easier.

I know the difference between the two. I'm just saying the page is called Daily Builds, therefore it is logical that you should first see links for the daily builds then “official” stable releases or perhaps by the release number descending… just my 2c.
  • Quick Links