Houdini and Maya 4 OBJ X-fer $ Texture File sequences

5340   1   0
436 posts
I have two questions.

I am not sure why so many VEX Shops don't recognize a file sequence, when COPs work fine with that same sequence. SHops only see them as folder of single files. So I am not sure how to define files seqs as texture maps.

Second

If I export an SOP node as anOBJ out of SOP. Using RMB->Save Geometry, ans bring it into Maya4 (Windows). Strange thing occurs.
I can't seem to do anything with the geometry. If I try to change the name, Maya issues Syntax Error. If I try to convert a quad poly mesh into sub-divs using Modify->Polygons To Sub-Division, I get a Syntax Error. Both Syntax Errors, in Maya, report, that some name ot feature is missing from the geometry. I realizie that this is more of a Maya question, but I have a good deal of experience bringing geometry into Maya as OBJ, from host of applications. I did an experiment where I brought in a Houdini exported OBJ into Rhino (a NURB app), exported it as OBJ out of Rhino w/o modifications. It imported into Maya just fine. Performed the same experiment but this using Lightwave, same good result. Dito for 3DS MAX, formZ, and Cinema4DXL. So the only difference is exportation application. So it points a finger, sorta, at Houdini's OBJ exporter. Geometry is available for SESI techs if they want it.

Dave Rindner
1631 posts
DavidRindner
I am not sure why so many VEX Shops don't recognize a file sequence, when COPs work fine with that same sequence. SHops only see them as folder of single files. So I am not sure how to define files seqs as texture maps.
Hi David,

The variable $F represents the current frame so to define a file sequence as texture maps, you can type, for example,

name_of_maps.$F.tga

For more information, please refer to pg 37 of the ExpressionLang.fmk.pdf file.

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links