how can i connect two polygons/primitives?

7129   7   1
4 posts
As i am new to Houdini, i was just modeling this chair to get to know the modeling tools but i have no idea how can i connect the two polygons to create a new set of polygons. You can check the image.

I tried “poly knit” but the new poly set is triangulated. Is there a better way to bridge polygons?
I went through some “poly knit” threads but didn get much help…

Attachments:
to upload_chair.jpg (143.6 KB)

390 posts
you could extrude the two faces that are facing eachother until they meet in the middle. then just delete the ends and fuse the points.
4 posts
isnt there a way to just select both the polygons and apply a SOP which will bridge them??

thanks for your tip though
390 posts
yeah sorry, just woke up when i wrote that, but your right, you can just use a polyloft. my bad.
4 posts
Thanks
84 posts
So that's how its called!! polyLoft… I've been using for several days now the extrude/merge approach since the bridge SOP didn't work for me (since i wasn't using NURBS …) and I couldn't find a “polyBridge”

On the same subject is there any way to make it NOT triangulate the resulting mesh..? or should I keep to my extrude/merge approach for that?

Thanks zach!! (by the way beautiful reel on your website )
390 posts
On the same subject is there any way to make it NOT triangulate the resulting mesh..?

i cant remember the procedural way off the top of my head right now, but in the mean time you can hit 3, select the edges and use a dissolve sop on them, followed by an edgecusp.

Thanks zach!! (by the way beautiful reel on your website Very Happy)

zak*, and thank you!
12 posts
Another work around for this would be to just model one of the verticle posts, then extrude the poly where the crossbar connects, and then mirror the whole thing to create the chair back.
  • Quick Links