Some protect questions

10143   7   1
538 posts
1. Can we compile\protect asset without Orbolt?

2. As i understand, if my asset commercial and protected it cannot be unlocked (allowed to add children).
So asset dont may create nodes by it self.
Is it true?
https://gumroad.com/alexeyvanzhula [gumroad.com]
538 posts
3. Is protected asset can change its definition - for example change sections/ add files to self?
237 posts
1. Asset locking is a feature which is only found at the Orbolt Asset store. It is not currently possible to do this in Houdini, or as a stand alone.

2a. Locked assets cannot be opened up by the customer. The customer may not add nodes inside a locked asset.

-if your asset needs this functionality, you'll need to build in the function.
example: Add an object merge, and promote it's object path to the top level of the asset, so that the customer can specify an input.

2b. At the object level, you can add children/use a locked asset as a parent. (On by default).

You can allow the locked asset to be a child by allowing inputs simply by allowing an output in the type properties.
(see image1)

This will add an input to your asset (see image 2).
This input can be associated with any node inside the asset (see image 3).

3. Do you mean “Once an asset is locked, I cannot edit it later, and add dependent (children) assets?”
As an author, you can edit an asset at anytime. The author edits the unlocked version, the locking happens at the store and only affects customers, not the author.

An author may add dependents, as an update.

It is a requirement that as you update an asset, you do not remove parameters. You can add as many as you like however. This is to prevent customers hip files from breaking when they receive your updates.

Attachments:
TypeProperties_inputsAdded.jpg (44.5 KB)
Node-_input.jpg (5.9 KB)
Asset-Subnet_Output.jpg (55.4 KB)

538 posts
No i mean - My asset has advanced functionality and need to change its definition by itself. For example, sometimes it need to add some files to his definition sections (not file-nodes, but files in definition) or change some text in script sections. At now, locked not compiled version of asset works good in this situation. What about compiled-protected version?

Sory for bad english and Thanx for replies…
237 posts
You should be able to edit your original asset as you want, and update it (re-upload) at any time. The version that the customer downloads will get locked (if you choose to lock it) and your new changes will be respected.

In short, you shouldn't have any problem. If you like, feel free to send your file to support and we'll take a closer look.

M
538 posts
compositor
You should be able to edit your original asset as you want, and update it (re-upload) at any time. The version that the customer downloads will get locked (if you choose to lock it) and your new changes will be respected.

In short, you shouldn't have any problem. If you like, feel free to send your file to support and we'll take a closer look.

M

You again not correctly understood me, or I not correctly explained

My asset need to change itself in runtime (not in next asset version)
For example, if user change some parm, then asset want to change some section in itself -> simple example - to save some variables in hda-sections.
Is it possible. Thx.
237 posts
Possible yes, but I don't thank that it would be practical.

You probably could script an asset which augments itself dynamically.
e.g. add/delete content either in hscript or python..otcontentadd/otcontentdelete etc..

But I think that you would have problems whenever the asset got updated: it would be like a “factory reset”.

You can have an asset write out data into someplace like $HIP, and read in data from this place too. This data could be a kind of per-user custom setting, or something. This would not get saved into the asset definition itself however.

Cheers

M
538 posts
I don't agree. My asset has to keep in itself only couple of variables. And i think there is no need to save files on a disk and then to be confused. It is simpler to keep everything in hda-section, I think so.
But I think that you would have problems whenever the asset got updated
I not completely understood what you meant. Can you explain? What update? I simply want to save, for example, file path to external application in hda-section. Why I need to save separate files for this purpose?

In any case thanks. At least I know that it is possible.)
  • Quick Links