Group by proximity ?

6580   8   2
41 posts
Hiya,

I have a wee issue with grouping primitives. I have a single mesh ( it comes from an .obj ), with multiple “sub-objects” in it, just connected primitives. I can do a group for each connected primitives with conectivity and partition SOP. But I need to create a group per groups which are intersecting or not far from each other ( with a radius value or something ).

You can see the problem in the screengrab I've attached. I'd like to have group 1-2-3-4 in groupA, 5-6 in GroupC and 7 in Group B.

I'm trying something with a for each node and intersecting vopsop node, but I'm a bit lost, anyone could help me on that ?

Thanks !

Attachments:
groupIssue.jpg (86.4 KB)

My portfolio : www.guillaume-j.com
184 posts
I'm not sat at my desk so can't answer in detail, but it may be worth checking out old school's intersecting objects tut…

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2270&Itemid=132 [sidefx.com]
184 posts
edit: Sorry, missed what you were saying originally (mobile's not the best forum browser). It's a bit of an awkward one - I'd probably not do it the the most efficiently myself, either through python or by importing groups iteratively into another Geometry node and processing their bounds there, ending up with a final grouping.
41 posts
Thanks,

The other thing yes is I'd like to avoid using volumes I'll keep searching ! thanks
330 posts
Cetras
.. I'll keep searching ! thanks

no wait !

try this suggestion :

- ignore nodes in gray .
- nodes in yellow do the job .
- there is a null to ‘play’ with values just for quick testing ..

.cheers

Attachments:
Clipboard-1.png (63.8 KB)
intersectingShapes_00_clean.hip (76.1 KB)

except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
41 posts
yay !!! Thanks a lot that does exactly the job !

Cheers man !
184 posts
Ohh nice!

I was getting toothache trying to figure this one out… you know, it's always the simple yet elusive solutions that make me feel small…
258 posts
Nice simple solution…
330 posts
thank you guys , glad i could help .

.cheers
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
  • Quick Links