FLIP fluid waterfall - not seeing surface field.

6490   4   1
5 posts
Hi.

I followed this tutorial to around the 27th minute where the instructor use file node to read rendered particle and show surface field preview.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2157&Itemid=166 [sidefx.com]

I don't see any surface field in my viewport. Has there been any changed? My particle_fluid node has quite a lot more nodes inside compare to what's shown in the tutorial too.

Any helps or tips appreciate. Thanks

Attachments:
jWhitewater.hipnc (1.3 MB)

166 posts
Hello! It was quite some time ago I watched that tutorial, but I don't think you have to actually see the Surface field. The data is still there though, you can pop down a Volume Visualization SOP and define surface as the Density Field. It may look inverted, but thats really what the surface field is about - anything inside of it has a value of 0 and anything else has 1.

You could also pop down a Convert Volume SOP to visualize the field as polygons.
101 posts
I really didnt get it too..

withthe new tools on 12.5 this tutorial could be updated!

Cause its so useful to learn the proper use of fluids!

166 posts
Sty
I really didnt get it too..

withthe new tools on 12.5 this tutorial could be updated!

Cause its so useful to learn the proper use of fluids!

It's the same now really. The only difference is that in 12.5 it uses OpenVDB to mesh the FLIP by default, and we got the Whitewater tool that sets up spray/foam/bubbles for you.

However, the whitewater tool basically does the same thing which they do manually in the tutorial. It's good to understand how things work, instead of just clicking some buttons and have no clue why it does what it does.
101 posts
Hey man, after try more on the waterfal i got it!

i was bit confused cause the default nodes were adding much more than the FOAM…by the default its adds bubbles and spray, what may cause look very dense and diferent!

now i turned off and just left foam and looks much more nice, although i am thinking is looking too much cloudy using the openVDB as material…
  • Quick Links