Rendering Passes cant read in Photoshop

4209   3   0
333 posts
Hello!
I'm currently working on a Project where I render custom passes. I've set everything up to my likes and it works perfectly in Houdini/Mplay. I have 3 passes, for example: C, my_custom (color with alpha, vector4), Zdepth

The problem i have is getting these passes into photoshop. I installed the openEXR alpha plug in but whenever i read the EXR files in photoshop i only have the C pass with the standard alpha and i'm missing the extra passes.

when i try to save from mplay and seperate the channels into different exr files, it just appears black in photoshop. when i save in a tiff it doesnt look correct and appears transparent without bg nor the custom alpha i have stored in (my_custom). in jpg it looks correct but i'm missing the alpha channel then.

when i read the exr files in mplay everything is fine so the information must be there. it seems photoshop is not interpreting the channels correctly and cant see the custom pass names and convert them into layers?

i use Photoshop CS 5.

Anyone can help me?
166 posts
You could try to render the passes to individual image files. Where you add the image plane on your Mantra ROP, check the “Different file” checkbox and specify a path. You have to do this for every image plane though.
333 posts
Thanks! i was looking into something like that. it seems i didnt see that checkbox in the Mantra ROP…

I will try it out asap and report back if it works.
333 posts
I still can't get this to work correctly atm.

But…

I just figured out if I seperate the passes in Different Files and also put “C” as the Channel Name, it reads in correctly as exr.

btw: Tif doesnt seem to be working if i choose “differnt files”. it says its the wrong file format.
  • Quick Links