Cloth and Finite element solver the same thing?

8270   4   1
91 posts
Hey guys,

Just want to make sure I understand this correctly. When using the shelf tools to make Cloth, Solid or Organic object they all use the finite element solver and when I tab in the cloth solver it turn into the finite element solver icon. Does that mean that they all just use that one solver and the only difference is what type of object you plug into it?

And does that mean that the sim time on them are all pretty much the same or does the type of object make a big difference?
4189 posts
In general the answer is yes but there's a really cool way to check it out, that is at the heart of Houdini.

Make a cloth object and a solid object and you will see inside the AutoDopNetwork node that they are both attached to the fineteelementsolver.

You can then dive inside either the cloth or the solid object, press ‘i’ on the keyboard, and explore what they contain-> Go inside the cloth configureobject or the solidconfigureobject and have a look around.

Also explore the objects from the Scene level that you made into Cloth and Solid and you will see different nodes attached to them.
471 posts
hi
how can we correct interact poly tube with cloth?because when i choose tube (cylinder) as deforming geometry fineteelementsolver warn me that tube ignored because it has more than 4 vertices!!!
how can i fix this?
thanks.
22 posts
Did you convert your geometry to tetrahedra?
Staff
429 posts
The Solid Object expects tetrahedrons. The Solid Object shelf tool puts down a Tetrahedralize node for this purpose.
The Cloth Object expects polygons (triangles, quads, or a mix of these two).

Whenever you use Cloth Object or Deforming Collider, you must make sure that each polygon is either a triangle or a quad (3 or 4 vertices).
Any polygons with more than four sides will be ignored by the simulation and by the collision detection. The solver does give you a warning about this. You can triangulate your collision geometry using the Divide SOP. If you don't want to triangulate, you can get rid of the violating polygons with the “5+ edges” repair option on PolyDoctor.

Michiel
  • Quick Links