Create new Nodes within Digital Asset inside UE4 (4.9)

4463   2   0
2 posts
Hello,

I have been using Houdini for the past few weeks. I have a project that I am working that creates a new geo node and instance node(used for the new geo). This is done by using a multiparm with a callback to a python script. My issue is that when I use the digital asset in UE4 4.8 or 4.9 it doesn't appear to create the new nodes. To check the asset I imported it into a empty Houdini file. When to import the .otl into Houdini the asset is locked initially. I first have to “Allow Editing of Contents” on the imported digital asset for it to generate the new nodes. After that there is no issue with the digital asset inside of Houdini. Currently is it possible to “Allow Editing of Contents” or generate new nodes of a digital asset inside of UE4?

Thank you
402 posts
Houdini Engine cannot currently detect new nodes being created inside the asset after the asset has been instantiated. We are working on fixing this limitation.

That said, even when we will support detection of new nodes, they will have to be created inside a subnet node that is marked as Editable in the Nodes tab of the asset's Type Properties window. This avoids the problems you're having with the lockness of the asset and the “Allow Editing of Contents” setting. It is generally considered bad practice to have the asset modify itself while locked.

It's worth also looking into doing the same thing without creating new nodes. For one, you can use the same instancer to instance different unique meshes by using the “instance” point attribute so you may be able to avoid creating a new instancer node each time.
2 posts
Thank you for your reply and for letting me know of this limitation. Having the new nodes be inside of a subnet that is editable is a great idea that I was starting to think about. I look forward to being able to someday being able to generate new nodes in UE4.
  • Quick Links