Inflatable object. Any suggestions ?

6371   6   3
16 posts
Hello,

I am trying to build a SOP that can take any geometry an turn it into an inflatable object.
I try several approches such as “particle deformation”, Bulge and metaball, softpic. But I am a bit stuck.
Bulge and metaball seems to be a good starting point. The problem that when an object is inflated using a Bulge SOP and Metaballs it's stretches. I wish to be able to keep the same surface area and just inflate the object without streching it.

Any idea or any starting point or anything that can help me to acheive this is welcome.

Thank you guys.

Daek
it's a kind of magic
405 posts
Hey Daek,

What about using point Clouds to capture the shape then set gravity on the points after the shape until they strike the ground. Bake the keys and then play it back in reverse. Unless you know how to reverse the simulation in that case you would not have to bake the keys and reverse the animation.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
405 posts
Hey Daek,

I wasn't thinking you don't have to do bake keys and then reverse the animation. You could setup Blender nodes to capture the position of the point cloud as they fall to the ground. Then just animated between the blends and now you have your inflate and deflate.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
60 posts
Matrixman's reply seems like a good one.

Another technique to creating your blend shapes might be a simple “lattice”.
Jim Ellis
www.emsh.calarts.edu/~jim
16 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Indeed I used Lattices and Bouding box to avoid the geometry stretching.
It kind of work but it is still not very realistic.

I didn't get how to use point clouds. :roll:. I didn't find any Doc on point clouds.

I try to gather as much approach as possible. That is what I did so far. By mixing many of these approches it kind of work.
But still, I don't get good results.

Thank you guys.

Here is my HIP file.
download it here [daek.online.fr]
it's a kind of magic
2199 posts
You might want to try out something like this

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=144 [sidefx.com]

Although it's called melt, running it in reverse might give you what you need. Or a another pointer to how to do it.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
154 posts
hey hey

you could try the pop shape match, really interesting,
although then u are solving rather than deforming :?

all the best

aracid
  • Quick Links