Activating a fractured cloth object by color?

   2070   0   1
User Avatar
Member
12 posts
Joined: Oct. 2013
Offline
Hello,

I am working on an effect where I am disintegrating an object that is meant to be made of a cloth like material. Currently I have run into an issue where I need pieces of the cloth to break off and float away from point of contact of another object. I figured activating each fractured piece by color in DOPs would be the best route to take but I have not yet found a working method for this through either trial and error nor forums.

My main issue is being able to even get Color into the DOPs to have it control an Activate Value and/or Dynamic Group node. I have seen RBD routes, but those don't seem to work with cloth objects. Most recently I have tried a suggested route with the multisolver and even though this seems to get color into the DOP Network I do not know how to access it since it seems to work a little differently than SOPs.

I have only worked in Houdini for maybe 6 months consistently so I am still new to a lot of it including expressions and python coding. I would very much appreciate any help or suggestions on how I can go about getting this effect to work. I will put up an example file as well. Though it will be prior to the multisolver route because that one is currently not working at all and would not show what I am trying to do. Thank you in advance for any help.

Thanks

Attachments:
ClothFracture_Test.hiplc (679.6 KB)

Houdini Indie
Windows 10 Intel i7-5820K @ 3.3GHz
MSi Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 Gb
16 Gb RAM
  • Quick Links