[HE1.9] Renaming a loaded asset instance node

3972   3   0
2 posts
Hi,

I've tried to find this in the docs and on this forum, but what's the proper way to rename a node that is an instance of an asset using the C++ API? I've enumerated the list of the parameters on the node, but didn't see anything matching “name”. The hou.Node class has the name property, but I couldn't find anything matching this functionality in the C++ API.

There's the HAPI_NodeInfo::nameSH, but there isn't any documentation for how to set this value. The docs only have information for how to query HAPI_StringHandle values and not how to create them.
402 posts
There's HAPI_RenameNode() if you just want to rename a node you created via HAPI_CreateNode().

Any other node not created via HAPI_CreateNode() cannot be renamed via HAPI. This is something we're working on for the next version.

Furthermore, HAPI_StringHandle is and will always be a HAPI-side handle. Input strings are passed into HAPI as just const char*'s.
2 posts
Awesome, thanks for the quick response, damian!

I'm still really new to Houdini programming, but I couldn't find neither the HAPI_CreateNode nor the HAPI_RenameNode functions when searching in the docs for 1.9 (http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hengine1.9/index.html) [sidefx.com] Am I looking on the correct page, or were these functions only added in HE2.0?
402 posts
Ya, those functions are 2.0 only. Are you still on Houdini 14? Houdini Engine 2.0 came out with H15.

I do want to ask what you're actually trying to accomplish. Like, why are you trying to rename nodes? And, are you trying to rename nodes within an asset?
  • Quick Links