Painting maps or grouping guides in wire sim?

2046   4   1
6 posts
Hi all,

So far I am loving my time back in Houdini, and have had some fun with interesting tests like fluids pushing hair around, etc.

I am curious if there is a way of fine tuning things a bit with maps or groups? One thing I have been trying to do is simulate only SOME of the guides in my wire sim. I tried using the various group nodes, but it seems like you can only make the whole dynamic object a group which is counter to what I am trying to do.

Is this a scenario where I have to select the guides to simulate over in the SOP network and only push through those selected guides? I am also looking for a paintable way of selecting guides to simulate or even general hair finaling/cleanup (for shots) information. So far I'm not finding anything online or in the documentation.

Thanks!
Alex
18 posts
I can't remember all the niceties of how I usually set it up as it has been a while. I do however have a nice example file for you!

I have marked it up in all the areas you will need to address, I hope this helps, it is a really efficient way to work.
Painting attributes is one of my all time favourite things about Houdini..

Cheers, Nick

Attachments:
paint_fur_dynamics.hip (3.5 MB)

6 posts
Hi Nick,

This is great, thanks very much! When I open it, I get a lot of unrecognized parameters, so I'll look at reconnecting things.

Very cool, I appreciate the help!

Alex
18 posts
Hi Alex, from memory I did this in H13 so there have been some major fur changes since then. Most of the errors should be benign, if you follow what I did and transpose it to a new version of Houdini it should all still work I think*

Cheers, Nick
6 posts
Hi Nick,
Yep, working fine, thank you again! And it was my mistake, I forgot to put I was using H14.
Very helpful though!

Thanks,
Alex
  • Quick Links