H16 performance broken for me (fixed, was video driver)

4796   14   2
15 posts
I'm sure this is just something related to my system, possibly the fact that I have the latest Anaconda Python installed, but after installing H16 Indie today, I find that any operation that creates a node is taking between 40 seconds and four minutes to complete, during which it's showing progress messages like “Evaluating python”, “Run Hscript command”, “Updating Exports”, etc.

During this, there's no disk activity, memory usage is a mild 400MB, and even more oddly, CPU utilization is between 0 and 2%, with no network activity (or none large enough to register in Task Manager.

Gonna reboot…

Update: Reinstalling Nvidia drivers solved the problem.
Edited by Zoot - Feb. 21, 2017 16:39:12
1755 posts
I'm experiencing viewport sluggishness/stutter with hair, created on a simple object (no rig, skin, etc)
333 posts
same issue here with hair.
1743 posts
Zoot
During this, there's no disk activity, memory usage is a mild 400MB, and even more oddly, CPU utilization is between 0 and 2%, with no network activity (or none large enough to register in Task Manager.
This is just a wild guess, but to check whether it's waiting for licensing over the network, can you check whether it's still slow if you switch to “local licensing”? https://www.sidefx.com/faq/apprentice-local-licensing/ [sidefx.com]
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
15 posts
Switched to localLicensing, no effect.

Every Torus is 45 seconds. Actually CPU utilization runs around 17% while trying to create a Torus.

Sometimes it seems to go out to lunch even more, to the point that the status line elapsed timer stops elapsing. But this is less common. 45 second Tori are very consistent.

Z.
4189 posts
Sounds like the infamous win10 GPU weekend update - if it is, you need to reinstall the GPU drivers.
15 posts
Artye
Sounds like the infamous win10 GPU weekend update - if it is, you need to reinstall the GPU drivers.

Bingo. Thanks, that fixed it.

Z.
Staff
5158 posts
I believe this has to do with Qt5 and Nvidia consumer drivers. You may want to try the Qt4 build.
15 posts
twod
I believe this has to do with Qt5 and Nvidia consumer drivers. You may want to try the Qt4 build.
Geforce 860M with driver 378.66 is now working fine.

Z.
1743 posts
Yikes! I'll post a link to this on the other thread that might be the same issue.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
Staff
5158 posts
Do you recall the Nvidia driver you were using before?
15 posts
twod
Do you recall the Nvidia driver you were using before?
It was a 376.something but I don't seem to have the install files for it any more so I don't know the exact version, sorry.
2 posts
WOW thank you for the solution. I can't believe this caused me so much pain.

Is this a rare problem or something? Because I serfed the net for days and could not find a single solution.

Thanks a lot guys, you're life savers.
3 posts
I want to add my thanks too. Before downloading Houdini my Nvidia Experience thing said my drivers were up to date. Got Houdini and it ran horribly then found this thread. Checked Nvidia Experience again… update available, ok “click” and a few minutes later the install failed and NV Experience was gone. Final solution - went online to Nvidia drivers and found a newer driver, installed and all is good now. I was on 376.54 and the new driver is 378.66
1 posts
Thanks guys. This was exactly my problem.
  • Quick Links