leaves blowing in the wind....

6809   3   1
8 posts
i am a noob here
so advice would really be appreciated.
check out this video on youtube.

click here [youtu.be]

so i used little blocks as place holders for the leaves.
what i would like to do is to get rid of that hectic reaction when the little blocks hit the big blocks.

my script is attached.

please help.

Attachments:
201700425_Leaves_v01a.hipnc (430.7 KB)

2535 posts
Play around with the Physical tab on the blocks and the ground plane. If you zero out Bounce Forward the leaves will mostly stick. There is also a Physical tab on the popobject as well. These values play off of one another during the simulation.

I tweaked some values and changed the Swirl Size on the wind.
Edited by Enivob - April 25, 2017 16:31:08

Attachments:
ap_201700425_Leaves_v01a.hipnc (430.2 KB)
leaves.gif (561.6 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
8 posts
Enivob
Play around with the Physical tab on the blocks and the ground plane. If you zero out Bounce Forward the leaves will mostly stick. There is also a Physical tab on the popobject as well. These values play off of one another during the simulation.

I tweaked some values and changed the Swirl Size on the wind.

Hi Enivob.
thank you very much for the suggestions.
I am aware of the parameters that you mention, to tweak the overall feel of the movement.
But this is not why I am posting….
Have a look at when the little blocks hit the big blocks, the little blocks goes spinning. BAD, Very bad. ;-)
The little blocks don't even need to hit the big blocks IMHO.
There is a node called PopSoftLimit, i think that might help but i don't know how to use it.
2535 posts
I think the problem might be you are copying geometry to points after the simulation is completed. So the only kind of collision that is possible is point based collision which can tend to spin.

There is an alternate way to use actual RBD geometry for inputs, instead of points. Then you get the full collision capability of the mesh. Not just sphere based collision around a central point.

In this example the white fog box activates one wind force, which blows in the upwards direction. There is also a second wind force which I hand keyed activation in the leftward direction, negative x-axis.

The emitter is simply a sphere with the initial box shape copied to the faces. When the simulation starts, these fall to the ground. When the white box moves by the UP force is activated to lift them into the air. Then, just as they are falling I hand key the second wind force to activate in the LEFT direction blowing them into red collision boxes.

So you can have fun turning on and off winds in various directions.
Edited by Enivob - April 25, 2017 23:49:59

Attachments:
leaves2.gif (389.3 KB)
ap_RBD_leaves_with_wind_mask_042517.hiplc (343.2 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links