Houdini v16.0.611 interface resolution too high and cannot be adjusted

9006   7   1
479 posts
I'm using an iMac21inch (2048x1152) and a Dell 27inch monitor (2560x1440).

The interface of the latest Houdini v16.0.611 as displayed on the iMac screen has a high resolution and very small icons as shown below.

If the interface is dragged to the Dell monitor, its height is unable to be adjusted, strangely.

Plus, the preference window as shown in the Dell monitor has its contents scaled up and part of the options and buttons are not visible, and again, the size the preference window is not adjustable.

May I know if there is an option to set Houdini to adjust the resolution of its interface according to that of the native monitor?

Thank you.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 6.04.30 PM.png (374.5 KB)
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 6.10.59 PM.png (32.9 KB)

479 posts
If the Global UI Size is changed to “High DPI”, the Houdini interface can be changed to fit the entire screen on the Dell 27inch monitor, but the icons are scaled up too much.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 6.29.05 PM.png (118.7 KB)

479 posts
An additional problem when using Houdini on the 27inch Dell monitor is that the context menu from hitting the Tab key only shows up on the iMac 21inch mornitor and it cannot be dragged to the Dell monitor.

So does the rest of the menus, such as changing display mode, which are not shown beside the corresponding icon, but rather showing up on the iMac monitor.

This is quite irritating …

Is this a known issue for iMac OS X with high resolution monitor?
4189 posts
Yes - there are some very crazy issues on MacOs depending on the monitor setup. A 4K monitor set to a lower resolution will have tiny icons, which you need to set ‘Open in Low Resolution’ in Finder's Info window.

Oh, also set that for MPlay!
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - May 18, 2017 16:25:11
1 posts
I'm running a MacBook pro 15 and had the same problem. I went to Edit, then Preferences, then chose High DPI, accepted, shut down Houdini, then started back up. Seemed to do the job.
4189 posts
CoffeePunk73
I'm running a MacBook pro 15 and had the same problem. I went to Edit, then Preferences, then chose High DPI, accepted, shut down Houdini, then started back up. Seemed to do the job.

On the laptop monitor? If it is then that isn't the described above.
8 posts
I have the iMac Pro with the high resolution display and the icons (especially the display all points, all normals etc) are very small. I have the Prefs>General UI>High DPI on and the icons along the side and the middle are still too small. Is there a way to increase their size? The icons across the top of the view are somewhat larger but still on the small side. The ones along the side and down the middle are way too small.

–Thanks
2 posts
lko
I have the iMac Pro with the high resolution display and the icons (especially the display all points, all normals etc) are very small. I have the Prefs>General UI>High DPI on and the icons along the side and the middle are still too small. Is there a way to increase their size? The icons across the top of the view are somewhat larger but still on the small side. The ones along the side and down the middle are way too small.

–Thanks

You can easily adjust the size of the UI to your liking by first:

Go to /Users/user_name/Library/Preferences/houdini/version_number/

Find houdini.env and open up in Text Edit.

At the bottom of the file paste in:

HOUDINI_UISCALE=90

HOUDINI_ENABLE_RETINA=0

You can adjust the UI now by changing the HOUDINI_UISCALE.

I set the Global UI Size to Large in Preferences.

I find this to be the best work around for the iMac Pro.
  • Quick Links