Resuming Simulation won't work

4245   2   0
9 posts
Heyho!

I am really having a hard time resuming my pyro simulation in H16.

To save memory and beeing able to start it from Houdinis Command Line Tools,
i added a ROP OUTPUT DRIVER Node in my pyro-dop-network and set everything up.
I load the file typing “hbatch path/to/file/pyro.hip”
and enter “render -Va -f 1 240 obj/pyro/rop_out”

So far it is working and writing out .sim files.
Now my pc crashed and rebooted itself.
So i got all those .sim files and do (obiously^^) want to resume at the latest file.

My research pointed at “explicit cache” which is not available at H16, afaik.
Anyway i am confused, because it looks(to me), that the new “Save Checkpoints” feature won't save any checkpoints if i write the files out via the ROP Node but only while simulation from inside Houdini??

I tried setting inital state and restarting the simulation at the given frame but this did not work either.(it took “years”, but it did not get to the second frame. Almost like it was resimulating to my latest frame to start caching out again)
Should i restart simulation at frame 1 or the latest crashed frame? Because with initial state turned on, my simulation at frame 1 is now the cached out frame that crashed? I might having an error in the way i am thinking about this. I can't help…

I am a beginner in Houdini and i might miss something, but i tried several nodes and could not find a way.

Is there anyone out there who can help me?

Sebastian

//edit ?
Edited by sebastianvfx - July 6, 2017 14:27:07
9 posts
Since noone answered at all. I hope i am allowed to push my question back to the top.
4 posts
I have worked this out so that it's super easy and simple.

On your auto dop sim node/ cache tab

1. check on cache simulation
2. set the memory amount you want to use according to how much ram you have for me I have 64 GB so I set it to 50000
3. Allow caching to disk <—I think you can skip this
4. check on save checkpoints
6. set a proper destination with directory that has a lot of space
7. set checkpoint trail length to the length of your full sim
8. set checkpoint interval to 1

Now when you sim it will save out a sim file and if you crash or want to hit esc to stop a sim at any time you get full playback and can run a flipbook anytime you want or continue the sim after a crash. One caveat is to make sure the last sim file saved is complete and not a percentage of the file size it should be.
Edited by AntCoFX - Aug. 4, 2017 21:24:53

Attachments:
flatTankSimCache.png (64.3 KB)

• Quick Links