Houdini wont allow me to overwrite texture files

3459   11   1
678 posts
Hey everybody,

this is a small thing but it is annoying. when a texture is used inside houdini it cant get overwritten, for example by photoshop. this is cumbersome as you have to save changes to a texture to a new file name, than relink it in houdini..

in softimage for example i can overwrite the textures, and see changes to them immediately in the viewport.
can this behaviour for houdini be altered or is it a windows setting or something (windows 7,10).
any hint would be very appreciated.

Cheers
Philipp
252 posts
Hi, when you overwrite the file from photoshop, does it error out or show any dialogs that tells you overwriting the file is forbidden?

If not, you could try the “Update Textures” menu command:

Use this after overwriting your file from photoshop.

Attachments:
update_tex.jpg (67.9 KB)

678 posts
Hey galagast,
thanks for the help. yes photoshop prompts that the file is locked by an other program and wont let me overwrite it. does your 2d program let you overwrite files that are used within houdini?
323 posts
Hi Cyte,
i dont have the issue you have. PS (on Win10) opens textures used in Houdini they are not locked by houdini. This is strange.

Olaf
Staff
5156 posts
Windows will not let you overwrite a file that is currently open. This is a system restriction. It sounds like something is keeping the texture file open for reading when it should be closing it. Do you have a hip file which demonstrates this issue?
678 posts
Hey Everybody,
thanks for the help. It seems to be an issue when one is rendering with Arnold or Redshift. Then a texture that is used by a shading network gets blocked…. in mantra it is working.
Edited by CYTE - Nov. 14, 2017 05:46:04
252 posts
CYTE
does your 2d program let you overwrite files that are used within houdini?
Yup, I can overwrite the files and won't get permission errors.
I do remember getting those way back when I was using an older windows version. I'm on win10 right now. Are you logged in using an admin account? I have a feeling that this one is OS related.
252 posts
CYTE
thanks for the help. It seems to be an issue when one is rendering with Arnold or Redshift. Then a texture that is used by a shading network gets blocked…. in mantra it is working.
Oops I missed this post, glad you found what was causing the issue
678 posts
The probelm is not solved for me. maybe someone using redshift or arnold can confirm that this problem exists.
236 posts
Hi, I'm using Redshift and can't reproduce your problem. ie. I can overwrite a texture using either Photoshop or Substance Painter. I can also overwrite the texture during a redshift render and refresh it to update it.

I'm using Windows 10, H16.5.268.

Rob
678 posts
hey robsdesign,
thanks for your feedback. I found the error for Arnold. its produced by the “auto-generate tx textures” option. when it turned off I am able to overwrite textures. And Redshift is working now, too. without changing anything. smells like user error Thanks again everybody!
Edited by CYTE - Nov. 16, 2017 14:20:35
434 posts
Still an issue in H20. Come on... 6 years have passed...
  • Quick Links