Fill a wine glass with fluid problem

5058   4   0
112 posts
Hi

I am trying to figure out how to use the fluids for something like filling a glass with water.

I have created a glass and the object to emit the fluids.

I tried using collide with object shelf tool but it didn't work. So I created the glass and made a VDB from it then used it as a collision object.

The problem is it won't fill with fluid and I have to set the substeps to 4 to stop the fluid going through the glass.

Can anyone give me some pointer to what I'm doing wrong?

Also when I try to cache to disk in the cache tab on the AutoDopNetwork it creates nothing. ??

Thanks fluids.hiplc
Edited by Ralph Pinel - Jan. 25, 2018 11:04:02

Attachments:
fluids.hiplc (2.1 MB)

419 posts
One of the biggest issues is the scale of your scene, way too small.
Also you should connect the division size of your fluid source to the particle separation on the flip object.
Also to not lose volume on water make sure that your collision obj is thick enough, you can also play with grid scale and particle radius.
Also you were connecting some parameters the wrong way. Look at the Sidefx master classes to understand more how thing work.

Attachments:
2018-01-25_15-12-10.gif (1.4 MB)
fluids_FIX.hiplc (2.1 MB)

112 posts
Thanks Sepu,

I will take a look.

With scale, I was under the impression you should stick to real-world scale.
The glass is to scale. Should I work with the glass at what scale?

Thanks
Ralph
69 posts
Funny thing with working to scale is that I usually didn't work according to *scale* for my fluid sim shots in several productions to meet the director's feedback.

As long as you're able to recreate the look that doesn't look much different from your reference, feel free to scale bigger or smaller (usually I scale bigger and rarely smaller).
112 posts
Thanks Huey_yeng, I worked like that in realflow.
I read that sims should be to scale so made the glass to real-world scale.
I always get confused by this mixed messaging, in the doc's it says real-world scale now users say the opposite.
It's always how the physics work, how can filling a bathtub replicate filling a glass?

Yes, if it looks right then everyone's happy. When you're learning its always good to start out in the right direction.
Which I'm still not sure about. For this exercise, I'm going to follow yourself and Sepu who kindly took the time to help out.
  • Quick Links