Particle Positions offset between H16.5 and Maya 2016.5

2151   2   1
2 posts
Hi,

I have a pair of point clouds I'm using to instance geometry in Maya. In Houdini, with the same geometry as I'm using in Maya, with the same transforms and pivots, things line up correctly.

When I bring those point clouds into Maya via HEngine, the positions are slightly off by an arbitrary amount. I can't see anywhere where things should be different.

If I bring the asset into Maya with the geometries already instanced into their positions, they line up perfectly. However, this isn't an option as the scene needs to be rendered across a farm without HEngine capability, and all I want are the point positions.

Is there something fundamentally wrong with Houdini points > Maya Particles that I'm missing?
146 posts
How do you create the point clouds? Are the points already offset from their expected positions in the Maya particle system? Or are the instanced objects xformed incorrectly? Are you using the default settings on the maya particle instancer? If the points are from a sim, is it possible that they are off by a frame?

If you generate a simple test case - e.g. just generate a small number of points off a grid, do they transfer over correctly?
2 posts
The points are essentially tet-grids deformed into UV space onto a character. The secondary points are then copied onto the primary point cloud, and both sets of points written out to Maya.

If I instance identical geo (same mesh, same xforms) onto those points in Houdini, all is well. But if I export those points out to Maya, then do the same instancer step using the nParticles brought in, their positions have changed slightly.

Luckily in this case, we have managed to get the Houdini Engine asset working across the farm, so we can work around it. It'd just be useful to know in future if there's an issue with position accuracy between points/nParticles brought in via HEngine.

However, as soon as I get a chance, I'll try on a simpler setup and see if its replicable.
Edited by Tom Rowell - Jan. 30, 2018 10:27:25
  • Quick Links