Plugin installation problem

5411   6   1
3 posts
Hello,

I am new to Houdini and this forum, so hello to everyone!

I have a problem with Houdini Engine: I installed Houdini Apprentice and selected to install the plugin for Unreal, but they were not installed during the process, so I manually copied the folder named “HoudiniEngine” into “Epic Games > UE_4.19 > Engine > Plugins > Runtime”.

When I start UE4 i get an error message:
“Plugin ”HoudiniEngine“ failed to load because module ‘HoudiniEngineRuntime’ could not be found. Please ensure the plugin is properly installed, otherwise consider disabling the plugin for this project”.

And then UE4 just quit loading.

Can you help?

Thank you
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Unfortunately, the Houdini Engine plugins cannot be used with an apprentice license, as they require an Houdini Engine Indie / Houdini Engine license for this and apprentice doesn't have one.

That error still implies that something went wrong when copying the files over, as you should normally have had an “apprentice license” type error. But unfortunately there is not much you can do to fix this without an Engine license.
3 posts
In my understanding i should have a 30 days trial of the plugin.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Sorry about that, I forgot about the 30 days trial.

What OS / Houdini Version are you using ?
And where is Houdini installed on your machine?
3 posts
It is Houdini 16.5.405 and it is installed in the default folder: Program Files\Side Effects Folder\Houdini 16.5.405\…

Thank you
3 posts
Hello, I've just purchased the Houdini Indy version and I am receiving the same error message. Is this because unreal just updated to 4.19.0?
I tried copying \4.18\HoudiniEngine (as present in the 16.5.405 installer) into

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.17\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine

and from here on is where I get the error. I tried reinstalling the engine a few times.

Thanks for your time and help!
1 posts
Having the same problem as described above. Attempted both using the installer and the manual copy/paste method. Houdini FX version 17.5.391, copied the HoudinieEngine folder from the 4.22 unreal folder. Placed that folder inside the engine/plugins/runtime folder as described on the unreal getting started page.

Loading the unreal editor will initialize until 71%, then the error message will appear:

Plugin ‘HoudiniEngine’ failed to load because module ‘HoudiniEngineRuntime’ could not be found. Please ensure the plugin is correctly installed. Otherwise consider disabling the plugin for this project.

The software will not open past this point.

Trouble is, I’m not sure how to ensure the plugin is installed correctly. The readme has some links, but none seem to highlight this issue. This post is the only information I’ve seen on the problem so far, but there doesn’t seem to be a solution documented yet. Any ideas?
  • Quick Links