Game Development Release 1.12 - Daily Builds!

2735   5   1
240 posts
Hey everyone,

With Release 1.12 we go back to our roots, and enable quick turnarounds and the ability for you to ride the cutting edge of development.

We've put a build system in place that will generate a new release daily (if there are changes). This allows for those that are working with us to be able to get hotfixes and updates as soon as we make them.

In order to still protect the majority of users from bugs, we are implementing production builds.

With 1.12, the updater can filter the releases based on production builds so you can only download safe builds, or you have the option of grabbing a daily build. We have also implemented smoke tests and unit tests on our tools to ensure that they aren't causing unexpected problems with your files, and with 1.11 we've flagged new tools as (Beta)

If you'd like to see what changes we've been doing, you can check out the Commits page in github.
https://github.com/sideeffects/GameDevelopmentToolset/commits/Development [github.com]

With 1.12 we've also officially retired the Stable branch

As always, let us know if you have any feedback and if you encounter any bugs

Luiz
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
3 posts
I had been using this build with the sop_autouv and all was working great but the last few days if I try and use shortest path or cluster it wont produce uvs. Not sure whats going on but any help would be appreciated.

Seth
7024 posts
Hi Luiz,

Are you able to move to a more standard versioning system, i.e. Major.Minor.Patch? That would help a lot keeping track of these tools when deployed internally as well as helping everyone know how big a change each release is.

Cheers,

Peter B
240 posts
Hey Peter.

Yeah we're looking into possibly synching with the Houdini releases.

The idea is that we don't have patches. Only major and minor. Major is for large breaking changes, and minors are daily builds.

Ideally we find a way to determine what's a production build from the version number
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
7024 posts
OK, interesting. How do you differentiate a minor update from a major?

This is mostly for our internal versioning, I'm not overly fussy about it We just add “0” as the “major” so the Game dev tools are:

for example.
240 posts
As os 1.14 we've started having daily builds and we can tag production builds using githubs built in functionality. Basically production builds are not pre release builds.
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
  • Quick Links