Exporting vdb sequence

13618   4   3
6 posts
Hi

I am trying to render water and pyro sims in vray for c4d and producing the animation in houdini.

Can you explain how to export a vdb sequence rather than just a single vdb frame?

many thanks
2534 posts
There is a global $Fx token you can place inside the filename field of the FileCache or File node, where x is the zero padding amount for the frame number.
Try this…
my_filename_$F4.vdb
Should produce a filename for each frame named like my_filename_0001.vdb, my_filename_0002.vdb etc…

Put the File node in Write mode and simply play the timeline one time. Or click the Save To Disk button with the required frame range set.
Edited by Enivob - June 26, 2018 09:29:09
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
1 posts
Ok, I wasn't attentive enough. So I figured it out, if someone stumbles on this post, here's the way that worked for me:
- As Enivob suggested, you should use FileCache node (I used File).
- And then in its parameters you can define filename in a format output_$F.vdb(where $F will result in a suffix with frame number)
- And also frames range you need to output.
And from there, from the FileCache node parameters you should use Save to Disk action that will actually do the rendering of your timeline to the sequence of .vdb files.
Thank you, Enivob, for pointing to the right direction!
1 posts
I use this Topic for another Export-Question:
I have 3 Emitter and after emission the three smoke-plumes meet and mix.
How can I export 3 groups out of Houdini to give them different colors in Cinema4D later?

Thank you in advance!
1 posts
Hi there, similarly to Spiralstaircase, I'm trying to export a billowy smoke sim so I can import into c4d paired with Octane. I understand how to name the file in order to save a sequence but I have no clue what to plug the file node itself into. I've attached an image below of my project if that helps in any way. I have watched tutorials that tell you how to export vdb's but they are all outdated and are using the old pyro solver so I have zero clue where I need to be plugging the file node in. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-12-29 023212.png (917.9 KB)

• Quick Links