problems with Maya2018 Update 4

9307   14   4
146 posts
We are currently experiencing problems with the Maya plugin in Maya2018 Update 4. I will post as soon as there is a fix or workatound available, in the meantime, you will not be able to to use the plugin with update 4.
3 posts
juliap
We are currently experiencing problems with the Maya plugin in Maya2018 Update 4. I will post as soon as there is a fix or workatound available, in the meantime, you will not be able to to use the plugin with update 4.

While your at it could you take a look at this. We get this message when loading the the plugin.

“houdiniEngine will reset the File Dialog style to OS Native.
This is required when using in-process evaluation with houdiniEngine”

It's really frustrating to lose access to the Maya File Dialog. Maya crashes if you try and swap it back even after unloading the houdiniEngine. Changing the “in-process” preference also doesn't change the requirement for OS Native File Dialog.

It's really killing some of our workflows, if it could be looked at that would be awesome.

Thanks.
146 posts
At the time is seemed safer to prevent the crash than to find a seamless way to change the preference back - once you've loaded the plugin, you've loaded the incompatible version of the library (I'm not sure which library at this point), and unloading the plugin and restarting it out of process doesn't change that.

If you set the preference to your preferred kind of out-of-process, exit maya, restart and set the dialog preference back to Maya File Dialog, and then load the plugin, it should leave the dialog preference alone, if it doesn't, I will fix that.

Or we could default to out-of-process/autostart, and disable in-process when there is risk of a crash. Out-of-process can have a performance hit in 16.5, but there should be some improvements coming.
3 posts
Thanks, I've just given it another go and I'm still experiencing crashes.

I'm on Maya 2018.2 and OSX, attached is a screen shot of the Houdini engine preferences.

For me, if the Houdini engine plugin is loaded and the File Dialog is set to Maya's, Any event that opens the file dialog (open file, save as, load asset) crashes Maya. Regardless of if asynchronous mode is on or off (restarting after change).

Just out of interest what is going on in the background thats causing the crash, isn't the file dialog just getting a path to a digital asset?

Cheers,
David.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 16.42.38.jpg (26.7 KB)

146 posts
Sorry - it's not Asynchronous mode, it's the Back End options that matter. Instead of setting it to “Within Maya Process”, set it to “Named Pipe” and “Auto-start server”. Then restart Maya and try again

The file dialog is relying on a library where the version conflicts with a library that the plugin loads when it's running in process. As time goes on we're ending up with more and more library conflicts, either with Maya or other third-party plugins. That's why we recommend running out of process.
146 posts
Looks like the problem with 2018 update 4 is likely due to a Maya problem.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-programming/array-attr-inside-a-compound-are-not-evaluated-maya-2018-update/td-p/8233305 [forums.autodesk.com]

There doesn't seem to be a patch available yet, but I'll keep checking.
15 posts
We are also dealing with this issue (on 2018.4). We are trying to determine if our users should rollback to 2018.2 or wait for Autodesk to resolve this.
7 posts
Hello, anybody solved this issue ? I try to sync the asset and the scene is empty despite having houdini engine messages in script editor.
15 posts
It appears the next fix (which is on Autodesk at this point) isn't coming until the “next major release of Maya”. See above link on the Autodesk Forums.
Edited by akreeger - Oct. 23, 2018 10:11:40
1 posts
i am having the same problem
146 posts
Have those of you directly affected by this problem been reporting it to Autodesk as well? Either by chiming in on that forum post or entering your own issues? Although if their own MASH feature is no longer fully functional and they are not committed to fixing that until the next major release, maybe they're trying to focus on 2019 now and trying to avoid any further updates???

So far the only solution seems to go back to an earlier update. I think update 2 may not have the problem, although I've gone back to using the original 2018.
3 posts
hi, here it is: 2018.5 Update [knowledge.autodesk.com]

Edited by alzosmol - Dec. 1, 2018 05:27:48
146 posts
I was going to cheer, but it sounds like some hda's are still experiencing some ongoing issues, although the plugin is thankfully producing output (most of the time) again. I will install update 5 and see if I can repro the problems and discern the underlying Maya bugs involved. And perhaps check the what's new in case any fixes have impacted the plugin as well.
3 posts
something weird [youtu.be] happens in maya 2018.5/6 while 2017.5 works fine [youtu.be]

upd: reinstallation > ok
Edited by alzosmol - April 16, 2019 02:04:17
146 posts
Oops, forgot to mention there were some fixes for the 2018.5 bugs in 16.5.737, 17.0.483, 17.5.158.
  • Quick Links