how to select only the boundary edges of multiple merged objects?

4428   9   2
40 posts
hiya,

i have 3 boxes in different shapes making 1 object.
when i choose to bevel the edges, it also bevels the edges connecting the boxes. is there a way to auto select only the outer edges
of the merged objects and bevel only that ?

Attachments:
beveledges.jpg (364.7 KB)

1769 posts
turn on ignore flat edges on poly bevel
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
40 posts
yeah i tried this but that aint working at all.

any other options?

i put an example file with just 2 boxes in it. can't get it to work.

Attachments:
notworking.hipnc (65.4 KB)

236 posts
On your example file, add a Boolean Union after the merge.
40 posts
omg, u rock bro! thank you so much!
40 posts
do u know why this happens btw the way or u just know the buttons does that magic ? really curious, cant figure out the logic behind it.
236 posts
Hehe, no magic, just a misunderstanding of what merge does maybe. When you use a merge, the geometry is not fused together. It's a way of merging streams so you can work on them together. ie. two boxes merged together means you can display/render them together

In this example, you could use a fuse sop but you'd be left with cleaning up the inside primitives from the overlap. The Boolean union connects all the geometry into one piece and doesn't require any cleaning.
32 posts
pande
do u know why this happens btw the way or u just know the buttons does that magic ? really curious, cant figure out the logic behind it.

if you look at the attached Images, before Boolean you have a total of 12 primitives 6 from each boxes,notice the marked area for primitive 9 and primitive 1(primitive 1 not visible due to some graphics issue and is at the same position as primitive 9),the center faces.Now when you use Boolean,you have only 10 primitives left (look at the other image center faces are gone),which means now you have single hollow geometry instead of two separate ones with the connecting borders merged as one,and since there are no inside edges remaining there is no bevel in those areas.

Attachments:
NonBoolean.JPG (117.8 KB)
Boolean.jpg (116.2 KB)

32 posts
robsdesign
Hehe, no magic, just a misunderstanding of what merge does maybe. When you use a merge, the geometry is not fused together. It's a way of merging streams so you can work on them together. ie. two boxes merged together means you can display/render them together

In this example, you could use a fuse sop but you'd be left with cleaning up the inside primitives from the overlap. The Boolean union connects all the geometry into one piece and doesn't require any cleaning.
oops I missed your reply
40 posts
sorry for the slow repply but thanks allot for both ur answers! they both triggered more “aha” moments

thanks again guys! starting to figure out how the mechanics work, some day i start answering poeple's questions
  • Quick Links