HDA with group selections, interface problem

6646   5   1
14 posts
Hello

I have an HDA in which I use group (edge) selections, and I exposed the “basegroup” input parameter. I have also created several “preset” bounding box based groups to facilitate the selection process (like “top-left”, “bottom-right”).

In houdini, I can see and edit both the text box, and use the pulldown menu, to call those other “preset” groups, which are added or removed from the main “text” box.
(By the way, even in Houdini, the interactive arrow selection button does not work, I get the error: “Traceback (most recent call last): File ”Parameter Scripted Action“, line 4, in <module> AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘eval’” - this is why I created the selection presets)

In 3dsmax’s houdini engine, I first see the basegroup’s “text box”, but suddenly just the pulldown menu, never both at the same time, like in Houdini. Also, the preset groups don’t seem to get added or removed to the active list, instead, are selected only one at a time.

Since this HDA is meant to be used for modeling in 3dsmax, this is a critical problem.

Am I doing something wrong in exposing the “basegroup” parameter in my HDA in the first place? In any case, I found this interface display difference strange. I have also tried this in the latest daily build (17.0.399)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Emanuel “Manoo” Raimundo
3D generalist, going procedural!
www.artstation.com/manoo
Staff
387 posts
Are you able to PM me the HDA? Or even just a mock-up HDA that demonstrates the problem?
14 posts
Hello, thank you for your quick reply.
Here is a mock-up of this part of my HDA, in which the “Hard Edges” parameter is the group input, and it has 2 sample preset groups in the pulldown menu.
The 3dsmax engine interface seems to change from text box to pulldown as soon as I touch one of the other parameter sliders.
Edited by animanoo - Nov. 12, 2018 14:28:04

Attachments:
Manoo_groupseltest01.hdalc (5.8 KB)

Emanuel “Manoo” Raimundo
www.artstation.com/manoo
Staff
387 posts
Thank you for the HDA, that was a big help.

The parameter isn't functioning correctly because the plugin does not support multi-selection menus–this is because HAPI only supports single selection menus.

Would it be possible for you to alter the HDA to work around this problem? I could see a few workarounds–perhaps a single-selection menu with a script that adds or removes a newly selected value from a string parm which contains the groups.
14 posts
I'm afraid my scripting skills are practically zero, for now. I can use some basic expressions and link some parameters, but aside from that, I mostly stick to nodes and VOPs, at least until I learn some python.

For now, I will disable the selection menu in this basegroup, and leave all the presets filled in as default, so the user can delete the ones not needed.

This modeling asset will be used primarily on box objects, but there will be some special non-box cases.

The bounding box based system only covers the boxes, I will still need a way to directly select geometry.

Is there a way to pass a 3dsmax selection along to the asset/modifier?
I assume houdini's interactive selector does not carry over to 3dsmax.

Thank you again for your help.
Emanuel “Manoo” Raimundo
www.artstation.com/manoo
Staff
387 posts
Right now the plugin will only pass your 3ds Max soft selection (as a point attribute called soft_selection) to Houdini.

There are RFEs logged to support element, face, edge, and hard selections.
  • Quick Links