COPs issue with SOP Import when setting planes from Heightfield.

3097   4   2
337 posts
Hi
I was following Jeff Lait's Heightfields Masterclass for H16. In here vimeo.com/234755478#t=17m30s Jeff shows how to set up custom planes based on the heighfield data instead of the default C and A.
Now today I was trying to use a Trace SOP with a “SOP Import” from a heightfield's normalized @height (0 to 1) but the Threshold on the Trace SOP just goes up to 0.7 and not 1.0

After some help on Discord and time put in I finally cornered the problem, single channel planes:
- The planes created by “SOP Import” button are single channel. These show a range from 0.0 to 1.0 in the Histogram but bug the Trace SOP and its Threshold only works from 0.0 to 0.7. Remaping doesn't fix it, only way to sort it is to convert to color planes.
- On the other hand this raised another question, while the color planes make full use of the 0.0 to 1.0 range of Trace SOP Threshold parameter, they show as a clipped range from 0.0 to 0.7 in the Histogram.

What's going on here with this 0.7? (X-Files theme!)

Checking before reporting cause I might be missing something very basic for people that use COPs often.

Anyways this was the origin of the challenge:
Edited by probiner - Nov. 15, 2018 08:26:35

Attachments:
TracefromCOPfromHeightfieldBug.zip (292.6 KB)

900 posts
up, I'm interested in this topic
337 posts
Yeah I still have no answer to this awkwardness I guess I'll just have to report.

- Why are the images C, A looking the same, while their histogram looks different, C stops at .7? (height looks different than A because is 16 and the other is 32)
- Why does the Trace SOP work ok with A and C but with height stops at .7 ?

Cheers
Staff
5156 posts
My guess is that the trace sop might be taking the luminance of the non-color data when it shouldn't be. Will have to double check that when back in the office.
337 posts

Quick tut about it.

Cheers
  • Quick Links