Cut a Geometry

2078   8   1
72 posts
Hi,

I have a surface of geometry and I want to cut in the middle of the surface to open a way for a stairway. I understand that there's many tools in Houdini to cut, but I was not successful implementing these tools in my model. I appreciate if someone can lead to a video or a tutorial for this.

Attachments:
Annotation 2019-05-16 015327.png (1.1 MB)

2036 posts
Post your hip.
72 posts
BabaJ
Post your hip.

Plz see attached file.

Attachments:
Skid.hiplc (60.4 KB)

2036 posts
Your hip file doesn't contain any data because the file node is referencing a file on your computer locally.

Since we don't have access to your computer, we don't have the data and your scene is empty.

One thing you can do before uploading your hip again is control + click on the second bar from left on the file node.(Turns the bar red once done)

This locks the data to that node, so we will have that data.

I've been told by other contributors to this forum, that this method isn't always the best(sometimes data can be lost in transfers).

So apparently the better option is to lay down a stash node after your file node. Making sure you click the “Stash Input” button(so that the data is acquired). Wouldn't hurt to also control + click the same bar on that node too, to lock the data in that node and prevent accidental reclicking of the button.
72 posts
Thx for the advice. The file size now is 200mb. I cant seem to be able to upload it in this thread.
2036 posts
I noticed in your hip you have the file node pointing to a directory named rivet.

Maybe you could create a smaller and simpler rivet project that might duplicate what you aim to do with in Houdini and at the same time not create such a big file.
72 posts
True, but Revit FBX is only 14mb, and after importing it to Houdini and use the stash node the file size increased to 200mb. I removed the stash node and uploaded it using Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9wn0btpogs6k0g/Skid_2.hiplc?dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]
2036 posts
Here's one way to do it. Which is what I think you want?

I've never worked in Revit before. But if your going to be doing a workflow like this in the future and it can be done;

You might want to set up an extra shape/object in Revit perpendicular to the direction of the staircase so in Houdini you don't have to do the extra work I did(like setting up construction plane) so that a ‘good’ extrusion and cut can be made.

Also, by doing it in Revit first, you might have more control(less work than post in Houdini) in setting up the profile that you want to use as an extrusion.

I've simply went with a bounding box profile.

Edit: I thought I should add because you might be confused.

Although I put in a bug/rfe not too long ago, Houdini currently does not retain saved custom named construction planes from session to session.

So when your look at this hip you might wonder about how the polygon was created with the curve node for the ray sop to project onto.

A construction plane was set up from the work done in the ‘CP’ wrangle, and when making the polygon the setting of snap to grid was used to ensure it lies on that construction plane(which is perpendicular to the direction of the staircase).
Edited by BabaJ - May 17, 2019 13:04:52

Attachments:
Skid_3.hiplc (7.8 MB)

72 posts
Thx man. I am studying what you did.
  • Quick Links