Adding material slots in UE4

7814   3   1
18 posts
Hello guys,

Node

Result

I am trying to add material parameters on the tool and it works well, but it doesn't create the material slots if there is no material file inside of the file path. I tried to find other ways to solve the problem like adding material string path and adding multiparm folder, but string doesn't get populated like material slots and the multiparm folder materials doesn't attach on the mesh properly. Is there a way to make populate-able material string path or add material slots without placement (string is better option for me)?

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (858.8 KB)
Capture1.PNG (371.6 KB)

34 posts
You need to use a prim attribute “unreal_material” to enable the slots in UE. The drawbacks is that you don't have the nice UE dropdown but a string in which you need to put the material reference (right click on the material in the content browser > Copy reference and paste it to the string parameter).
What is nice about it is that it keeps the references on recook
18 posts
sorry for the late respond.

Thank you for the explanation about the unreal material system. I want to use string to add the material, but it doesn't allow me to add multiple material on the mesh at the same time. For mine, the mesh has more than three shop_materialpath attribute that has to be used in ue4, but only one of them can be used if I use string. Is there anyway I can populate the string parameter based on attribute value like add three string if there are three material attributes?

Attachments:
MAt.gif (172.3 KB)

18 posts
sungho1114
sorry for the late respond.

Thank you for the explanation about the unreal material system. I want to use string to add the material, but it doesn't allow me to add multiple material on the mesh at the same time. For mine, the mesh has more than three shop_materialpath attribute that has to be used in ue4, but only one of them can be used if I use string. Is there anyway I can populate the string parameter based on attribute value like add three string if there are three material attributes?

or is there any easier way to separate materials in one mesh in procedural way for ue4? I don't have to use string to do it (it is efficient, but if it is more important to make it easy to use) I went through research, but I couldn't find any good resource other than material instance (I tried to use material instance, but I couldn't find a way to use it properly).
Edited by sungho1114 - July 23, 2019 13:52:14
  • Quick Links