Houdini 17.5.327 Flip Narrowband flat tank creates a tide in the simulation

1935   2   1
7 posts

Hi, everyone. I have having some trouble creating narrowband flat tank simulation.
It creates a tide at the very front. This is the setup from the shelf tool with no change.

As soon as I put a gravity in the simulation, it starts to get this and all the particles in the boundary region gets an up velocity from no where. I am wondering if this is a bug or something? I have never experienced this in older version..(plus I don't do it a lot)
If I change the substeps, the more substeps I get, the less it will become. However, it is still there and for no reason.. I don't know where is the velocity coming from. I tried to use sopsolver to get rid of it but no luck.

I created a simple setup. Just a box controlled by null and use the shelf straight. It is there as well. Anyone has any idea?

Attachments:
testwater.hiplc (2.9 MB)

48 posts
Did you ever solve this?
73 posts
I don't know if this is a narrowband sim bug but there's a couple of issues with the way the initial particles are generated and how the boundary layer is refilled.

First of all, when using the Ocean Source to generate narrow band particles, the initial layer of particles is one particle separation too low (this doesn't happen when not using narrow band). Now, as you step through the simulation and observe how the particles are refilled in the moving boundary layer, you'll see the new particles are added too high, above the water line. These inconsistencies along the edges result in rippling effects that will eventually smooth out as the simulation runs. Maybe try to preroll the sim a bit before you do anything interesting to let the edges settle and hope that once you blend the simulated patch in with whatever is going to be around it, you won't notice the boundary glitches.
  • Quick Links