Volumes from Houdini to Unreal Engine?

3521   3   4
4 posts
Hi,

What are my options for getting volume data (fire in this case) into UE? Is this possible, or do I need to slice it into 2d images?

Cheers,

Niall
54 posts
Unreal doesn't have any native volume data ability so you need to fit the volume into something else, either image slices or if you want it for gameplay elements you could export it as a csv file which unreal can read.
4 posts
Barrett Meeker
Unreal doesn't have any native volume data ability so you need to fit the volume into something else, either image slices or if you want it for gameplay elements you could export it as a csv file which unreal can read.

This won't be for realtime use, so within reason performance isn't a huge consideration. I was aware of csv but had assumed that was just for things like rbd collision data etc. If I can export the volume as csv, how will it appear in Unreal?
54 posts
Depends how you want it to appear. You could instance a cover at every point and get a voxel style. If you want a more cloud like volume you could spawn a fog sheet, could do this with a Niagara particle system.

If you want to write a ray matching shader I think you need to make it into image slices. You could do a bunch like 20x 4k maps, split it into sections.
  • Quick Links