Simple Baker SOP won't bake textures in maya

3855   3   1
3 posts
So I'm trying to create a HDA that bakes out textures from a high poly onto a low poly mesh in maya. I started with the gamedev/labs simple baker which works great in Houdini but when I import the HDA into maya it does all the steps except saving the texture. I was curious if anyone else has encountered this issue and if you know what I'm doing wrong.

Currently I've tried:
  • Running Maya as administrator mode so it has read/write permissions
  • Hard-coding the save locations as well as using $Channel.
  • Using the gamedev/labs baker (instead of simple)
  • I've also set up a cop2net containing the default_pic linked to a rop_comp as a hda and this does save out a texture in maya which makes me think it's something to do with the baker.
  • Re-creating the gamedev labs baker to only include parts I need.
  • Forcing maya to use Houdini engine 17.5.327 ( this is the version I originally created the HDA in)
  • Recreating the HDA in 18 and using Houdini engine 18 in maya.

I've attached the simplest version(using 17.5.327) that does what I in Houdini but not in maya. If anyone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong that would be amazing.

Thanks!
Edited by east-eden - Dec. 10, 2019 09:38:24

Attachments:
BakerDebug.hda (91.2 KB)
DebugCube.tga (3.0 MB)

Staff
463 posts
Hi east-eden,

Unfortunately many of the tools provided in the former Game Dev Toolset are incompatible with the Maya plugin.

We do know of this issue however, and you are not the first to bring it to our attention. We are currently discussing internally on how best to rectify this situation.
Edited by johnmather - Dec. 10, 2019 14:05:06
1 posts
Hi John,

I hope you are doing well. I was wondering if anything has changed/been fixed in regard to this situation with using the Simple Baker in Maya? If not, do you know of a workaround to this problem to have the textures saved out from Autodesk Maya?

Thank you very much,
Adam
Staff
463 posts
Hi Adam,

The Simple Baker has been deprecated so you should use the Maps Baker instead. I just gave it a try, and it worked properly within the Maya plugin.
  • Quick Links