Is there any way to mimic Blender's new "Cloth Brush" ?

1963   4   3
407 posts
Hi;

Recently, I watched a video about “Blender Cloth Brush” and I think it's one of the most exciting things in the CG world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAxKimRf01s [www.youtube.com]

Is there any way to mimic Blender's new “Cloth Brush” in Houdini?

Thanks.
Masoud Saadatmand (MSDVFX)
407 posts
Any idea?
Masoud Saadatmand (MSDVFX)
142 posts
@Masoud You can make your own Asset( on that teman ) following and finding TENSION AND WRINKLES CGWIKI
806 posts
If I wanted to reproduce that, what I would do is something along this idea:

- create a paint node that produces a “trace” (e.g. a spline curve of points that you draw over your grid mesh)
- wrangle over the points of that drawn curve and use a secondary “paint mesh” input to attract/repel points on your target mesh based on proximity of the paint-mesh's points to the current point on your drawing-curve
- use different shapes and/or weights (as an additional parameter) on the paint-mesh for effects like “push”, “squeeze”, “fold”.

Should be more or less straight forward to implement. You'd only need to take care of displaying the output mesh instead of the paint mesh (for which you may have to look into attrib-paint “paint on displayed node” to see how that's done in Houdini).

I have done something similar years ago in Modo using Fabric Engine as the “code wrapper” … Modo wasn't Blender back then, so it didn't attract any attention outside my peer-group (the guy in the mirror and myself).

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
65 posts
Hey guys,

I think this could be doable with the new Python Viewer States. The “Use Physics” Layout tool in LOPs is using a Bullet sim under the hood to detect collisions, so this could be potentially done the same way.

Cheers,

Julien
VFX Supervisor @ MPC London
  • Quick Links