Laptop Recommendation for Houdini

7651   9   2
18 posts
Hello Guys,

I am trying to get a laptop because I have to move a lot and I thought laptop is a good choice for working remotely.

I researched to get a good laptop and I found(HP Omen 2019 RTX 2070 [www.amazon.com]) and ROG Zephyrus M Thin RTX 2070 [www.amazon.com].

Which one do you think is better? Also, if you have other suggestions, let me know!
Edited by sungho1114 - July 15, 2020 16:56:48
15 posts
(you ROG link is pointing the HP notebook too)
although i have to postpone buying, i am really looking at XMG. they build their customized notebooks around Clevo motherboards and chassis. they are in Europe (Leipzig, Germany), if you are elsewhere in the world you may want to look at some similar companies. i think most/ all(?) of these companies build customised notebooks around Clevo: Eluktronics, Eurocom, Obsidian, Sager, XMG (Schenker).
Edited by villain - July 15, 2020 16:16:56
18 posts
villain
(you ROG link is pointing the HP notebook too)
although i have to postpone buying, i am really looking at XMG. they build their customized notebooks around Clevo motherboards and chassis. they are in Europe (Leipzig, Germany), if you are elsewhere in the world you may want to look at some similar companies. i think most/ all(?) of these companies build customised notebooks around Clevo: Eluktronics, Eurocom, Obsidian, Sager, XMG (Schenker).
Oh god here is the actual link for ROG Zephyrus M Thin RTX 2070 [www.amazon.com] XMG looks cool, but I am living in United State and I am looking for a laptop around $1500
Edited by sungho1114 - July 15, 2020 16:40:45
15 posts
you will want 32 GB of RAM (for any 3d app) and probably more diskspace (i was told win10 easily eats up hundreds of GBs?).
i read everywhere that current amd cpu's are cheaper and faster than intels'. i'm sure someone wrote about this in this forum too.
12 posts
I bought an OMEN and I really hated it. Super high temperatures even in low demand tasks.
20 posts
villain
i was told win10 easily eats up hundreds of GBs?
20 GB
309 posts
Laptops break due to overheating. If you go that way, that I do not recommend, consider cleaning the fans and radiators once a year or at minimum every third year. You will need to open the case with screws or leave it for service. I’ve destroyed a series of laptops when not doing this.
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
527 posts
Just get a chill matt that has airflow available underneath and it will make a huge difference.
It actually enhances performance as the laptop doesn't need to throttle as much.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_380_718&item_id=078050 [www.canadacomputers.com]
soho vfx
1 posts
Both of them are good, but you will have to buy some external cooler, because they heat very fast. This is one of their biggest problem. You either have to keep them on an external cooler, or on something not flat, to avoid overheating. My best laptop for music production [thecursedcrusade.com] is also very powerful, but it's way smaller and it doesn't heat like these models. This is very good for me, because I love to work while drinking a coffee in a restaurant, and taking the cooler with me all the time is not a thing.
Edited by AndreaBur - April 11, 2021 20:49:04
4 posts
I am completely new to Houdini and would like to buy a machine that will be able to let me get decent use from the software.

I want to be able to do small freelance projects, such as logo animations, product advertising,and add create effects to add to videos as well. While modelling is a plus I am really here for the FX- fluids,fires,smoke crowds(maybe)and very important is good rendering.

I did some research and these are the specs I am looking to get:

64GB Ram
RTX 3060,3070,3080
1T SSD DDR4
i7 core
  • Quick Links