Houdini ignoring node state and cooking everything

2683   8   1
71 posts
I don't know if it's a bug or if I turned on the world's worst feature, but Houdini is suddenly insisting on cooking all nodes whenever I click on anything. This happens even if the nodes are after the current node or bypassed. For instance, I'll have a polyreduce node and when I click something above it in the node tree, it'll attempt to recook the polyreduce node. The visibility and template flags are NOT on the polyreduce. It's maddening. It also triggers a cook anytime I save the file, even if the objects visibility is turned off! Also when I move in and out of geo nodes.

This is happening across multiple scenes and is noticeable with all nodes that have a significant cook time. Houdini Indie 18.0.499, macOS 10.15.6.

I assume I've turned on some esoteric preference, but I've been through them all and can't find it. Anyone have a clue?
2038 posts
One possibility…even though your polyreduce node is not flagged for visibility and your node upstream is….is your polyreduce(or any other node in your entire scene) selected too? (yellow node border becomes ‘bold’ to indicate selected in network view). If a node is selected even though the visibility is not…it will still cook.
71 posts
BabaJ
One possibility…even though your polyreduce node is not flagged for visibility and your node upstream is….is your polyreduce(or any other node in your entire scene) selected too? (yellow node border becomes ‘bold’ to indicate selected in network view). If a node is selected even though the visibility is not…it will still cook.

No, unfortunately, but thanks. I’ll probably just reinstall (again) and hope for the best. This behavior suddenly began recently, so either I changed something or an app file is corrupted.
73 posts
Hmm this sounds a lot like the other issue you had where you weren't able to render anything in the background because something would recook every time you saved your hip file.

You shouldn't have to reinstall Houdini to get it back to a pristine state. Since you are on a Mac (I think), all you need to do is go into /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Preferences/houdini and rename the “18.0” folder to something else, then relaunch Houdini. To revert to your previous state, delete the new “18.0” folder that got created and rename the original folder back to “18.0”.
71 posts
ziconic
Hmm this sounds a lot like the other issue you had where you weren't able to render anything in the background because something would recook every time you saved your hip file.

You shouldn't have to reinstall Houdini to get it back to a pristine state. Since you are on a Mac (I think), all you need to do is go into /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Preferences/houdini and rename the “18.0” folder to something else, then relaunch Houdini. To revert to your previous state, delete the new “18.0” folder that got created and rename the original folder back to “18.0”.

Wow, good memory! Interesting parallel, I hadn't even thought of that.

Looks like just recycling the prefs did the trick this time, thanks!
73 posts
I guess that means you probably have some sort of a plugin or add-on that is messing things up.
71 posts
ziconic
I guess that means you probably have some sort of a plugin or add-on that is messing things up.

Could be Octane X as it’s still a preview release, though I had no trouble with it prior. I’ve generally had major stability issues with Houdini, predating my Octane install, which even SideFX support couldn’t figure out, so it could just be par for the course. Trashing the prefs didn’t fix the background render bug, unfortunately.

I was really hoping this one was a preference I switched on, so I didn’t have to add it to my mystery bug list!
73 posts
Nah I have the Octane X beta too and it's harmless.

Did you try using Performance Monitor to see which nodes are getting recooked? Press the Record button in Performance Monitor, perform an action that might trigger recooking (e.g. clicking a node, saving the hip), then see in the Nodes section of the profile which nodes are getting recooked. Maybe it will provide a clue or two.
4 posts
I had a similar issue.
When running a dopnet live the sim is running fine.
When caching that sim, some of the upstream nodes where unnecessarily cooking every frame ( even if time independent )
The problem with this bug is that is hard to reproduce because the same network sometimes bugs sometimes not. ( ie. after relaunching Houdini)

I had no plugin installed locally just pref files that gets created automatically.
Deleting the folder content solved the issue.

I wonder if anyone from the staff could give us a pointer on what kind of file could cause this instability?

H 20.0.653 Windows
  • Quick Links